Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

I had 14 eggs go into lockdown and 14 hatched! I'm so excited! Some are d'uccle and the rest are crosses. Here are a few pictures!

Attachments

• 20200222_100635.jpg
    20200222_100635.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200222_095907.jpg
    20200222_095907.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200222_100030.jpg
    20200222_100030.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 5
Just wanted to update, I did the eggtopisy on 5 of 6 eggs and I found that 2 weren't fertil, 2 stop growth approx. 7 days, 1 dead after Interal pipp and the last is olive and can't see inside it is on day 21 today but not expecting anything to happen. I may have had bad results this hatch but have learned a lot and I want to thank everyone for their advice and assistance. I am looking forward to the March hatch with a new incubator and shipped eggs.

What a difficult first hatch! I'm sorry! :hugs I hope that your next hatch goes wonderfully! Remind me what is your new incubator?

Three of my silkie chicks have hatched so far, 6 are still alive but haven't hatched yet (three of those I'm feeling fairly confident will hatch without issue). And 4 were DIS. I'm getting a lot of bad malpositions and I hate it (6 were in malpositions that typically prevent hatching)! :barnie

I tried assisting two of the ones who didn't make it but they died around 2 hours after I managed to get them access to oxygen. I'm currently assisting two more (one head between thighs and one facing away from air cell). It's been almost 5 hours since I started and they are hanging in there, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much though as this kind of assist has a very high mortality rate in my experience.

I was kind of expecting this wouldn't be the greatest hatch since these were eggs that weren't stored properly and that weren't turned for a couple days starting on day 7ish but I didn't think it would be quite this bad. :hmm

I've been up all night with these eggs/chicks so I'm going to try to get a little sleep in between checking to make sure the membranes stay moist, I'm worn out! :th

Oh no! What a bittersweet morning for hatches! I hope the other assists you're working with pull through! I have great assist results, I rarely lose them, but the one's I have lost were all malpositions. They can be so hard! I decided on this last Silkie hatch that it seems when Silkies have those really big vaults on their heads they have a harder time getting into the appropriate position to hatch. Makes me feel less inclined to hatch as many with vaults for sure. Fingers crossed!! :fl

I had 14 eggs go into lockdown and 14 hatched! I'm so excited! Some are d'uccle and the rest are crosses. Here are a few pictures!

Aww look at those little cuties, they are just gorgeous! :love

Oh no! What a bittersweet morning for hatches! I hope the other assists you're working with pull through! I have great assist results, I rarely lose them, but the one's I have lost were all malpositions. They can be so hard! I decided on this last Silkie hatch that it seems when Silkies have those really big vaults on their heads they have a harder time getting into the appropriate position to hatch. Makes me feel less inclined to hatch as many with vaults for sure. Fingers crossed!! :fl

Thank you! The majority of my assists go very well too. It's these little ones that have their little heads buried away from the air cell that haven't made any external pips that I dread. The ones in that position just don't make it for me very often. The two are still hanging in there, it's been over 9 hours now since I started the assist. I have been successful with this type of assist before, I hope these two are some of the lucky few that actually make it! :fl

I'm not a big fan of the vaults just because it bothers me that their little brains are often only partially covered by a skull. It does seem like they sometimes interfere with hatching too so another thing to not like about them. Since I'm getting into breeding silkies I guess it's just something I'm going to have to get used to unless I can find an effective way to try to breed it out. :hmm

Thank you! The majority of my assists go very well too. It's these little ones that have their little heads buried away from the air cell that haven't made any external pips that I dread because they just don't make it for me very often. The two are still hanging in there, it's been over 9 hours now since I started the assist. I have been successful with this type of assist before, I hope these two are some of the lucky few that actually make it! :fl

I'm not a big fan of the vaults just because it bothers me that their little brains are often only partially covered by a skull. It does seem like they sometimes interfere with hatching too so another thing to not like about them. Since I'm getting into breeding silkies I guess it's just something I'm going to have to get used to unless I can find an effective way to try to breed it out. :hmm

Random reply here but if you are getting into breeding Silkies ‘seriously’ a good book to invest in is Silkies and Silkie Bantams by Sigrid Van Dort.

A lot of people look at the price and it’s puts them off but i’d personally recommend 100%. It’s not just specific to one country’s standard, it kinda says points of all and shows super helpful images 🙂

Thank you! The majority of my assists go very well too. It's these little ones that have their little heads buried away from the air cell that haven't made any external pips that I dread. The ones in that position just don't make it for me very often. The two are still hanging in there, it's been over 9 hours now since I started the assist. I have been successful with this type of assist before, I hope these two are some of the lucky few that actually make it! :fl

Do you ship hatching eggs yet? Not that I need more eggs, or Silkies...buuuut, maybe I do? I mean, there's no telling how many of the Silkies in my brooder are roosters so, lol. :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom