Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

White spotting gene then? Whites from black. Do you get red (yellow) baised whites in chickens? Dilutes? You could maybe have other paint colours if so.

I need to look into the genetics behind the colours in birds. (quail for me mostly) There's usually some sort of overlap across different species, and some morphs only found in certain species. Sorry way off topic.

I found this link really helpful in explaining breeding paints if you're interested.

https://vjppoultry.com/tag/paint-si...VGMfv3vMhIgZSXv-fgvuOqypAWrE8uuqUOumB1SHJnUfU

White spotting gene then? Whites from black. Do you get red baised whites in chickens? Dilutes? You could have other paint colours if so.

You can get other paint colors for sure! Red complicates things, dominant white doesn't inhibit it the same way it does black pigment. I know you can get blue paints, chocolate paints, and splash paints. They just aren't recognized colors. :)

I'm not sure what a red based white is, does it refer to ground color? Ground color (silver or gold) has an effect on the paint color too. I think gold based is more likely to have bigger spots but off color is more likely and the white may not be as crisp. Silver helps with pigment and a crisper white but the spots may not be as nice. I think a lot of breeders try to balance the two ground colors to get the best of both worlds.

Black or red (yellow) based white. Means the genetics behind the animal make it black or red. But then with the white spotting gene over the base colour you get white. There's also the dark eye gene so you get dark eyes whites. Pink eyed from a base colour being different to albino. Then you add dilutes in there too and get different shades and colours.

I really do need to learn how the genes work in birds.

I love that there are people that can follow genetics way better than I can. I tried several times and my understanding is still quite basic. I'm mostly over here just going...
pretty-colors.gif

I love that there are people that can follow genetics way better than I can. I tried several times and my understanding is still quite basic. I'm mostly over here just going... View attachment 2037861

I think that's how we all start out! :lau

I still can't wrap my head around a lot of it but I really wanted to get into breeding paints so I've kept at it and can grasp the basics and a few of the more complicated aspects. Genetics are fascinating, but boy can they be confusing when you are just getting introduced to them! :lol:

Sleepy chickies...

I’ve got someone already wanting them but I don’t know what to do.

View attachment 2037868

I had the same thing happen. I still have 6 and I haven't posted any update pictures on my chicken page because I would really like to grow the rest out and hopefully keep a couple pullets!

Back
Top Bottom