TOO HOT/day 19/broody on eggs/they're HATCHING!/pics added

fun monitor

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
southern california
I can't believe I didn't lose any chooks yesterday, it had to be over 105. We left the misters on all day until the late, late evening.

My broody is in a large dog create in the coop, and it's HOT. The crate is ventilated, but I'm still freaked out beyond all reason that it's scorching outside and I am expecting these little eggs to hatch any time now. I'm sure they won't make it and I want to move the crate to the garage, but that's where I keep my roos and I don't want the noise of their crowing to throw her off and break her brood.

Ugh. I just want to know that my broody and her eggbies will be okay.

Last edited:
Gosh, that is a tough one. :eek: Not sure what to tell you, since the mind of a broody is totally unpredictable. Use your own judgement, I suppose...

Well she did survive yesterday's temps, so that's a good thing and she gets off the nest more often for quick little trips for water, so I guess she's maintaining the temps okay.

This is miserable!

I have the "animal bathroom" where I've kept all sorts of critters at some point or another. But our house has central air conditioning and I'm afraid that the drastic change in temperature will shock the eggs.

I'll probably end up bringing her in the garage. Maybe. I don't know
tongue.png

Okay, I bit the bullet and moved her. I picked her up with her nest and carried her while DH lugged the crate. She's still setting, thank heavens, but I should knock wood on that.

No pips yet, I'm terrified by the thought that the chicks are cooked in the shell - chicken balut. Gah. I candled the one egg I had doubts about last week (when I culled two infertile ones) because in this heat I was afraid it would rot and weep. Well whaddya know, it's all dark with a big air cell and veins. Wahoo! So my total is back up to 7.

Day 19 going on 20...Lord give me patience!!

Well ChickenBoy, I'm obviously the kind of person who likes to freak out about these things.
wink.png
Yes, I remind myself that chickens have been doing this forever and in all kinds of weather and circumstances, but...this is MY chicken!
wink.png
She's very tame and the sweetest of the flock. The whole reason I found BYC is because we lost her sister to being eggbound at the end of last year.

So no, I won't be beating your 125 (choke*gasp, and I usually like hot weather). How on earth did your poor girl do it? How many actually hatched and, the big question...how many did you lose?
tongue.png

I have the crate in the garage, a small fan on her and I mist her every so often with water. (I don't mist her directly, just a few spritzes in front of the fan, which is 3 feet away from her)

Maybe I should change my username is ChickenFreak, but then again, that would describe most of us around here
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom