Too-la-ROO-la-ree?

Honestly, my male to female ratio is horrible considering to most people. But rarely do I have fights and rarely do I have over bred hens. Most of my males seem just fine around the edges with their buddies

OMG, I never realized photographing chickens could be so darn hard! Just as I got one snapped they'd all scramble & I'd lose track which ones had been photographed & which weren't! I think I finally have photos of all of the ones I'm questioning gender.
Despite the color on the wings, I'm thinking #1 is a pullet (??)
20231020_144225.jpg
. All of the others seem suspicious (to my uneducated eye) for being cockrels. If I'm right, that puts me at 6 roosters! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
20231020_144238.jpg
20231020_143502.jpg
20231020_143345.jpg
20231020_144316.jpg
20231020_144155.jpg
20231020_143857.jpg

so far I'm not seeing Amy others that scream male.. But wait a few more weeks
OMG, I never realized photographing chickens could be so darn hard! Just as I got one snapped they'd all scramble & I'd lose track which ones had been photographed & which weren't! I think I finally have photos of all of the ones I'm questioning gender.
Despite the color on the wings, I'm thinking #1 is a pullet (??)View attachment 3663924. All of the others seem suspicious (to my uneducated eye) for being cockrels. If I'm right, that puts me at 6 roosters! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭View attachment 3663925View attachment 3663926View attachment 3663927View attachment 3663928View attachment 3663929View attachment 3663932

I assume they will reach an age when they start fighting one another & I'll have to cull all but one of them. I'd like to give it some time to figure out which one will be the easiest to deal with & which ones are going to be little jerks. Knowing they're 12 wks, about how much time do I have to figure out which one to keep & which to cull before I start having cock fights on my hands?
I would think it would be now. I have EE youngsters, 3 pullets, and 3 cockerels to start with. The boys were obvious by 8 weeks. They were sparring quite a bit too, chasing each other, pulling feathers. As the monthly poultry swap was at that time, I took the 2 extra boys and sold them. Here’s the one I kept…Talk about red on the wings! Oh, and at least 2 were crowing by 8 weeks.
The girls are just grey/blue. They are 12 weeks in these pics. FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_6103.jpeg

I would think it would be now. I have EE youngsters, 3 pullets, and 3 cockerels to start with. The boys were obvious by 8 weeks. They were sparring quite a bit too, chasing each other, pulling feathers. As the monthly poultry swap was at that time, I took the 2 extra boys and sold them. Here’s the one I kept…Talk about red on the wings!
The girls are just grey/blueView attachment 3663940
View attachment 3663944
Wowza! He's GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Cockerels will have brighter combs sooner than the pullets, and will develop pointy hackle feathers, and last those sweeping saddle feathers. Red/ orange shoulders are often but not always male coloration.
Also, male chicks often have thicker legs than same age/ breed type females.
Mary

I would think that at 12 weeks, the cockerels would be crowing. My boys were crowing at 8 weeks. Now at 12, the one I kept is a very loud crow-er

Back
Top Bottom