Too long?

I think it will continue to dry up, and eventually fall off too. I wouldn’t cut it. Just be sure it’s not blocking the vent, which may have been more the case with the chick In the video, but usually not an issue with a duckling. And once it’s dried out enough for some bath time, that will help too.
(YouTube can be so helpful sometimes..., but then there’s times like this!)

If I may chime in, I just dealt with a duckling that had the yolk sack issue. I applied antibiotic ointment to it twice a day and started it in leg depth, room temp water to soak the belly a bit. At day 10 it (the yolk sac) was off on its own and her belly looks just fine. She is however, lagging behind the others in her hatch. I don't know if what I did actually beneficial or it was dumb luck. I am learning alot on here. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Yes me too! Thank goodness for all of these guys! Il keep u all posted but duckling seems fine like all the others for now xx
I’d like to know how to sex them but are they too young? X

There’s vent sexing but they can be injured if you don’t know what your doing.
Ok I don’t know I did watch a video but I wouldn’t want to hurt them, is there a way u cud tell me or a good video I can learn how to do it properly on u recommend? Or just don’t do it? X

I’d rather not do it. It’s hard to wait but if you snap a leg out of joint that duckling would be in a lot of pain an would need medical care ASAP

I’d rather not do it. It’s hard to wait but if you snap a leg out of joint that duckling would be in a lot of pain an would need medical care ASAP
I don’t mind waiting but waiting for what lol? Till they get older ? Can I tell then? Xx

Ok I don’t know I did watch a video but I wouldn’t want to hurt them, is there a way u cud tell me or a good video I can learn how to do it properly on u recommend? Or just don’t do it? X
NO, remember how I told you not to mess with the eggs? Same thing only different! I can't even vent sex and if you try it you could damage them forever so please don't do it!

Enjoy them while they are little, cute and they still love you. They grow so fast it just seems like they are grown before you know it.

Mine will turn 5 weeks on Friday and today while I was walking to the duck run with their treat basins I saw them all run to the gate and I honestly thought it was the big ducks that had somehow gotten into the littles run! That's how fast they grow! You will know what sex they are as soon as their voices change.

Wait till they tell you voice is first way females will quack loud drakes have a raspy voice like a chain smoker. If these aren’t your ducklings why does it matter?

Back
Top Bottom