Too many options...I'm so overwhelmed

HisBoog

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
Upstate SC
This post will probably sound a bit like a whiny child...but I need as much help as anyone has to offer!

I am new to chickens, well actually I don't even have them yet. I want to make sure I have everything ready for my girls before I even purchase my chicks!! Brooder is done, but deciding on coop/run/their piece of paradise is making me a bit insane! I am trying to keep it simple, but want to insure they have all they need...roosting, nesting, warmth, ventilation, and everything else!!!! I refuse to pay $200+ for a prefab shoe box sized "coop", so my DH and I have decided we will build our own. Did I mention this is making me crazy HAHAHA so we currently have a 12x8 homemade "carport" that we have decided to use as our home base. This is a structure that is completely open air at the moment...no walls just a roof. I am not planning to have a large flock, but I want to have room to expand if I change my mind! My original thoughts were to enclose the entire carport with wire and build a smaller structure inside it to hold the nesting boxes and a roosting area. I also want a roosting area in what I guess would be the "run" of this idea.

Sounds like I have it all together right...well I am unfortunately one of those people that needs everything payed out in front of them to see the plans before they can say yes that's what I want...sigh If anyone has photos of something like what I have described or plans for such, I would be so very thankful for it!!

TIA for reading my rant and for helping if you can!!!

This is my converted carport aka the Bachelor Pad. Since this is a rooster pad I didn't need nest boxes. But if I needed to convert to raise chicks I would add hardware cloth along the bottom. In the winter I tie tarps on two sides. One thing to remember is metal is hot in the summer-note all the trees around mine. And the metal is noisy in a thunderstorm. Note that in this structure all the roosts hang from the top so there is no access to the side of the structure for a varmint to reach in a snatch off a head. Two Saw Horses supply added roost space for those who can't fly to the upper roosts. The base is surrounded by wire and covered by rocks. I try to get marigolds to grow as animals seem not to like them. The structure is big enough if you want to build an open nesting area. And if needed I can stick electric wire where needed.

Hope this helps.

DSCF0284.JPG

I didn't mention in my original post that I plain to let them out as much as possible. Coyotes, Hawks, Cats, and Snakes love my area so leaving them out all day and rooster at night is hard unless I will be them! I'm a pretty good shot so I feel safer with them out when I am watching.

Back
Top Bottom