Too many options...I'm so overwhelmed

I'd keep good half inch hardware cloth at the top of your priority list while considering. No fun always worrying, spend on the predator prevention first.

Check Amazon and walmart.com for 1/2" hardware cloth, it's usually the cheapest(price wise)
Don't use chicken wire, it's only good to keep chickens out of an area you don't want them in.

I am in upstate SC so our summers are very humid and hot, and our winters vary from mild to this past winter where we had a month of single digit mornings!

HisBoog - where do you live? I am new here as well and new to chickens. We live in Greer over by the Five Forks area. Been trying to plan an all season coop as well with our hot summers and cold winters we get both extremes.

HisBoog - where do you live? I am new here as well and new to chickens. We live in Greer over by the Five Forks area. Been trying to plan an all season coop as well with our hot summers and cold winters we get both extremes.
We are in the Pendleton Five Forks Area lol

Thank y'all so much for all of these pointers!! We are hard at it today...redneck chicken cooping is what my hubby is calling it! I will post more pics later today!

Attachments

• 15212228304201355914899.jpg
    15212228304201355914899.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 7
You can make a mighty fine chicken coop out of that. Add some more support, hardware cloth, a wire base. You can enclose the back part for added protection from the freaky weather we have (I'm in the same area as you). Shade cloth works great if the sun is strong during the afternoon. In our area you have to deal with the heat, drought, high winds, and the occasional flood.
Amen to that!!! Our weather is as bipolar as it gets!!

I'd use a solid wall if possible for the days we get those frigid rainy windy days. My bachelor pad has extra heavy duty tarp tied to two sides in late winter. It would be three sides the but horse barn gives added protection to the northeast side. I leave the southeast side open for added warmth.
Our plan is to build a large enough structure (with four walls) inside this to be an escape from the elements when needed. We are going to "screen in" with the hardware wire the entire outside. If that makes sense.

Don't forget anti-dig aprons all around:
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

We are using the 14 ga 1x1 for the anti-dig as you suggested, but can you recommend the best gauge hardware cloth to use on the run portion and for the extra protection on the coop? I might not be looking in the right places, because all I can seem to find is 19 ga.

Back
Top Bottom