Too many roosters

CWTimothy

Hatching
Jul 4, 2022
Today was a bit sad. First time chicken raiser.

Had 19 chickens. 1 of them, a gorgeous Americana rooster had developed early and established himself as the head of the flock. We also, oddly somehow got a small bantam rooster(named “Turkey”). He is tiny, but was weirdly the Americanas “deputy”.

As time progressed, the Americana was attacking hens repeatedly and I was noticing more and more of them starting to hide in the house in fear. He was also starting to make attempts to attack me and my kids. It was time to go.

The second I separated him from the flock, we heard a brand new crow. There were four others we weren’t sure if they were roosters, but the new crow confirmed it. Also, as soon as the Americana was separated, 1 of the 4 other roosters, named Spot, immediately started to go after Turkey. The 4 roosters are large and strong compared to Turkey. Decided either I choose 3 more to go, or they would. So we kept Spot and Turkey.

Really sucks because Spot and Turkey are extremely friendly for roosters. Both oddly sit on our laps. Confess we are emotionally attached to those two due to their being so friendly. But my fear is Spot will kill Turkey when we aren’t around, now that he is charge. ☹️

Attachments

• EBE1D699-9872-4757-802C-2E3AB71AA71E.jpeg
    EBE1D699-9872-4757-802C-2E3AB71AA71E.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 086BBF84-DC2A-4B09-A94B-BBC61B25FD13.jpeg
    086BBF84-DC2A-4B09-A94B-BBC61B25FD13.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 7
So am I, plus to the bulk of people cull=kill with poultry. I don't want it to die in the hands of a human or another roo. I am not trying to start fights I just want what's best for the animal
Sounds like you want to be right. Do a search for the definition of 'cull'. To most people 'cull' does not mean kill. See, I, too, can be didactic.

Ok I am not trying to be right just cuz I disagree with someone. We have different views on things and just because the dictionary definition of cull isn't kill doesn't mean thats what people think when they here it, am not being technical here
Culling literally is just the animal being removed from the flock. I am culling birds when I eat them,sell them, or remove them from the breeding pen to retirement.

Giving a bird away is culling from the flock

We love both of them. Already got rid of 4 chickens and that was hard, I cant with those 2 roosters. Decided to let nature do its thing, and have my fingers crossed Spot will let Turkey be the beta in the flock, especially since they grew up with each other. I know it may not happen, but im going to live in potentially false hope.
Wouldn't it be more sad if Turkey got killed and suffered rather than giving one of them away to a good home? You should think about what is best for your chickens, and it's not best for Turkey to be pecked to his death.

We love both of them. Already got rid of 4 chickens and that was hard, I cant with those 2 roosters. Decided to let nature do its thing, and have my fingers crossed Spot will let Turkey be the beta in the flock, especially since they grew up with each other. I know it may not happen, but im going to live in potentially false hope.
You should do what your chickens need and not what you want in this case.

Or they could sell him, or give him away culling is not always the correct thing to do
What you just described is the definition (kŭl) tr.v. culled, cull·ing, culls 1. To pick out from others; select. 2. To gather; collect. 3. To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example). n

Back
Top Bottom