Too Much Light?

nomonewbies

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Our Coop is located, unavoidably, about 20 feet from my neighbor's Utility Pole mounted Dusk to Dawn Mercury Vapor Light and the Windows of the coop are directly in line with that light. Our winds are out of the northwest and the windows are facing the southeast. That would be perfect, except for the light. Our chicks are only 11 weeks old and are already eating a 40 lb bag of layer food every three days. That is for 26 Buff Orpingtons. They are too young to lay but the D-D light, being on all night seems to be accelerating their growth. They are fully feathered out and most are quite large with developing combs and huge feet.

Do I need to provide them more dark time by installing some kind of shade system I can raise and lower at night? Or will these creatures either find a dark place in the coop ( like under the nesting boxes or behind some straw bales) or maybe figure out that if they tuck their heads under a wing (like other birds do) they might be able to get a better night's sleep? I need to know this before they get too fat to lay eggs since they seem to be up at all hours of the night. I have already gone out at midnight and found a number of them meandering about the coop, eating and drinking, while others were just resting on the raised roosts while still others are gathered around the lone heat lamp (red) enjoying the warmth. The heat lamp is going off soon, but the D-D will not be going away.

Well, if you are worried about it, I'd make a shade for the window. Just use something washable like vinyl.

I'm not sure about the light. But IMO I would not be feeding 11 week olds layer food. I would have them on a growth food. Both sets of my chicks did go thru a phase of eating everything, but then slowed down.

Quote:
I love your "All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer.' quote!!

Back
Top Bottom