Topic of the Week - Feeding Chickens - What to feed and when?

When they are caged, mine get fed early in the morning, so I don't have to listen to them cry all day. When they are out, they get fed about noon. Let them get some free range time in to find their own food first, THEN top it off. My thoughts were to feed around noon so that way, a lot is processed before they bed and less poop but, they FR till dusk so are eating all the time anyways so... so much for that shot of brilliance :/ A few hours before bed the 4 share a hand full of scratch grains. This way I can give them a good ruffle / fluffle, and once over to make sure they are healthy before they go in for the night. They love when I get my hands up under their wings, give them a good rub down working my way back that ends with a quick tail pull. They get the layer pellets. I tried the scratch but there was just too much waste. id recommend it only if you were going to wet it down / ferment it.

Aaron

- Medicated or non-medicated feed?
I have used both. Whatever is available at the store. I dont really care and never had a problem with coccodiosis. I do have CORID on hand if i need it.

- When do you switch from chick crumbs to grower and layer feed?
I usually have my chicks off heat by 6 to 8 weeks. At which point they move out to my grower coop. They get fed grower fermented feed around 11am and then free range the rest of the day. I like to feed around 11 so they are hungry and spend the morning eatting bugs and grass. The pullets get moved to the layer coop around 16 weeks, while the boys are sent to freezer camp.

- Is it o.k. to feed older birds chick food, cockbirds layer feed, etc?
I think so. I have 3 resucued old ladies who i moved to my grower pen to retire. They get the grower feed with the rest. 2 still lay eggs hard as rocks almost evey day with no calcium supplements. The one that always laid messy shelless eggs while on layer feed/calcium supplements, no longer lays daily and when she does lay, her eggs have a thin shell and arent total messes.
I also keep my silkies in my brooder house to raise the chicks. They only get the chick food. They also lay almost everyday with no problems.

- Thoughts on organic feed?
I dont think it matters. All mine get locally milled mash. Its not "organic" and it doesnt really matter to me.

- When do you start feeding treats and how much and often do you give these?
the chicks have access to soil and grass from day 2. They are being raised with some silkies so i throw a handful of scratch to the silkies daily and the chicks can get to it if they want. I noticed they arent usually very interested until a few weeks old.

- Do you make/mix your own homemade feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)?
I dont make my own food. But sometimes i make them a special meal when i have a lot of extra eggs. I will do something like the following:

- 12ish eggs
- chopped carrotts
- garden greens
- a spoonful of crushed garlic
- a few dashes of turmeric
- a handful of wild raspberries (sometimes sub with raisens or craisens)

Cooked together in a pan till the eggs are scrambled.

They go nuts over it.

- Who uses fermented feed and what are your thoughts on that?
i use it everyday. Its a pain to mix, but since using it for about 4 months now, my food costs are way down and I havent had any chicken sneezing.

-Medicated or non-medicated feed? Non-medicated. I feed them herbs and boost their immune systems. Naturally.

- When do you switch from chick crumbs to grower and layer feed? Whenever they seem ready. Typically three to five months, depending on whether they are standards or bantams. It also depends on what feed I have an abundance of at the time.

- Is it o.k. to feed older birds chick food, cockbirds layer feed, etc? I think chick feed is fine for all ages, especially in winter because it is higher in protein. I generally try to avoid layer feed for roosters and younger birds but don't fuss too much. Again, it depends on what I have available.

- Thoughts on organic feed? I don't really care if it's organic. They have widened the range of "organic" pesticides enough that it doesn't mean so much to me. It's a nice bonus but I won't pay a lot extra for it. I'm more worried about finding Non-GMO feeds.

- When do you start feeding treats and how much and often do you give these? My "treats" are NOT treats. I feed scraps, some of which like bread is a bit snacky, but mostly I feed greens and sprouts and other good foods. For me, this is a meal for them and not a snack so I don't follow the 10% rule.

- Do you make/mix your own homemade feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)? I just buy feed but I do mix in some random grains that people sometimes gift to me. But I do make my own flock blocks and might try molt muffins this fall.

- Who uses fermented feed and what are your thoughts on that? I ferment! Completely sold on this. Most the benefits I know of are listed here, along with my guide: Fermenting Chicken Feed: A Straightforward Method
I also grow sprouts, especially in winter. I have a chicken garden as of this spring with veggies and herbs.

I feed in the evening right before bed so the chickens will be active and forage through the day and stuff their crops before bed.

Medicated or non-medicated feed?
If I order chicks, I choose vaccinations for them. For vaccinated chicks, non medicated.
If I hatch my own or have unvaccinated chicks, medicated.

When do you switch from chick crumbs to grower and layer feed?
I use Purina start & grow chick crumbles.

Is it o.k. to feed older birds chick food, cockbirds layer feed, etc?
I feed chick feed until flock integration, and then all flock with crushed oyster shells. I don’t have any Roos but if I did they could eat the all flock (separate oyster dish). I don’t feed layer feed anymore because it actually had TOO MUCH calcium for my hens, the egg shells were way too thick. Gave all flock with free choice oyster shell and problem solved

Thoughts on organic feed?
If I sold any of the eggs I get I might feed organic to be able to say they’re fed only organic feed…. But I don’t sell , and I don’t care about it much. My hens are happy without it lol.

When do you start feeding treats and how much and often do you give these?
Whenever I integrate chicks into the flock…. And I give fresh veggie treats from the kitchen several times a week (like cucumbers or lettuce), I also toss some cracked corn in the run whenever I’m in the coop.

Specifically:

- Do you make/mix your own homemade feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)?
MEDICATED OR NOT:
I have my chicks vaccinated so I do nit use medicated feed as doing so would nullify the antibody response to the vaccine. When I am ready to hatch out my own chicks I plan to provide them with grass clumps to get the immune system started against cocci from local soil.
SWITCHING FEED from chick crums to layer:
I feed Purina All Flock 20% crumble until 8-10 weeks. Perhaps it is the batch I bought , but there is a lot of powder fine in Purina All Flock so I may go back to chick starter 20% just due to that issue.
I will give oyster shell in the side when its time.
ORGANIC OR NOT:
Not always available in my rural area; no feed mills I free range for 3-4 hrs a day then all day on weekends…that’s about as organic as I can offer them.
TREATS:
Older birds may get scratch grains 1-2 times a week when they are 4-5 weeks old. A handful for 11 juveniles tossed in the run or composed to turn it over (free labor). Fermented feed or a simple mash made from crumble and the powdery fines in the evening for chicks
HOMEMADE FEED:
No. I trust the commercial producers to know better than me what to feed.
FERMENTED FEED:
I do ferment feed for all and give a portioned amount to the flock every evening more as a treat but it’s a full portion. They have dry feed available as well. I ferment crumble or pellets.
IMO fermenting does not save time or money. I do it to improve digestion and nutrient bioavailability in my birds, plus they love it. I also have a bird with severe cross beak that can’t pick up dry feed (she gets a separate big serving AM/PM).

I feed all chickens of all ages an all flock feed. (I get Purina Flock Raiser) It simplifies everything.

Treats would mainly be a little scratch feed, weeds from the garden, extra eggs scrambled.
In the past 3 years, I let a hen raise the chicks and she lets them try everything they can fit in their mouths.
E62F75AD-9EC6-438C-B620-3624E8F5102D.jpeg

Scenario: I get my birds once every few years from a hatchery. I buy in larger numbers from 30-100 at a time. Sometimes other people come and get some of them after they "aren't delicate little chicks" anymore. Sometimes people just come for "finished"birds. Sometimes people just give me the money to "get" their chicks because wuantity buying is cheaper. I do keep a lot of them. Some of my birds are 6 years old. 1 rooster is gonna be 10 if he makes it till next spring. I use my birds for eggs and meat and breeding experiments crossbreeding to different breeds and sometimes even with pheasants or Guineas.

On to feed/s/ing……

If I can afford it I will feed my chicks non-medicated "20% Chick Starter" for a couple of weeks then "18% Grower" till they are about half grown(4or5months).
More often than not it's free range with the adults after the chick starter. Regarding "medicated feed" I haven't seen a great positive effect. I ain't saying not to use it though. I suppose in some instances it is necessary. Just that in the long run it hasn't done anything good for my birds. Many times my hens raise their own chicks "un savauge"
They eat grasses and legumes and slugs and bugs and other fruits of nature. I sometimes throw some some mixed grains to them. They start knowing a certain call and come running. That helps in the fall and nights during aerial predator season. I like to feed more corn during the fall and winter for the higher fat content. It gets pretty darn cold here sometimes. I'm talking -50*C.
I really prefer organic but need to be real if I can't get it.

My birds get treats every day. It's kind of bothersome having them underfoot occasionally but it is a control thing to have my chickens running to and/or with me. It's also helped save a few lives.....of chickens and turkeys and ducks and geese and Guinea fowl and even rabbits....from roaming dogs. Geez I even have Eagles, Falcons, Redtails and owls actually landing in my yard. But it's also kind of cute. So ya the 'treats' have in this case actually been helpful.
That said about "treats" my treats are more down to earth than cubed veggies and balled fruit.

I like to mix my own feed of pretty much even amounts of wheat oats and corn and about half that of barley. I really like peas and some beans. All my veggie peels and egg shells get scattered on the lawn and they have access to their own gravel/sand pile. They also seem to like ingesting certain amount of the thick high quality clay from around the edge of the pond. And always alway always fresh water. Anywhere from once to 7 times a day depending on the weather. Winter has its own challenges but still kinda simple.

I don't do fermented food mainly because I don't have it and it would be too much bother to make and properly look after it...for safety sake....for the chickens
However, in the winter I like reconstituting dehydrated alfalfa for them. They seem to love it and the payoff is I still get the nice richly yellow, almost orange, yolks of summer free range chickens.
In my neck of the woods "free range" is essentially wild.... bush, wetlands, meadow, pasture and lawn.

I think most BYC people would be shocked at how very much "KISS"(thnx speckled hen) my operation is.
My birds aren't pets and although they aren't forced to roost in trees all year round their chicken coop ain't a palace either. I used to expend tons of energy in fortifications for my birds but my life ain't just about my birds anymore. So no barnyard fowl Fort Knox here anymore.
Like I said "essentially wild"
Hi RezChamp can you give me more information on the: reconstituting dehydrated alfalfa...with what and how. Thank you!

Medicated or non-medicated feed?
Have always used non medicated, never had a reason to use it. Then recently found out medicated actually inhibits their ability to build resistance to coccidosis. I do use grit and probiotics from day 1.

When do you switch from chick crumbs to grower and layer feed?
I don’t. I have always used all flock feed and oyster shells on the side free choice for hens.

Is it o.k. to feed older birds chick food, cockbirds layer feed, etc?
Same as above everyone gets Kalmbach flock maker from hatch to death. I do buy it in crumble for chicks and pellets for adults but all the same feed.

Thoughts on organic feed?
No thoughts on it. I don’t use it.

When do you start feeding treats and how much and often do you give these?
Treats for me include regular feed with water added, egg if I have extra to get rid of or a dollop of plain yogurt. First 2 can be given day 1, yogurt is good for chicks day 3,7,14&21 to give probiotics and the lactose sugars feed the good bacteria to out number the bad keeping the gut in balance.
Do you make/mix your own homemade feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)? I just buy feed because I don’t have time or space to store the needed ingredients to make a balanced feed. If I ever am able to go that route I would use the recipe found in the files of the FB group Poultry Breeders Nutrition because they are developed by a poultry nutritionist and have guaranteed analysis done.

- Who uses fermented feed and what are your thoughts on that? Nope I tried it and doesn’t work for me because of time, storage and I have bearded breeds and it encourages beard picking.

One quick add on: Importance of grit. IMO, grit should be offered soon after hatch. While "they say" grit is not necessary if birds are kept on processed feed and not offered "treats", I question this philosophy. Birds are designed to process their food with grit in a gizzard. Some studies say that providing grit of the right size at an early age fosters proper development of the gizzard. This in turn fosters the bird achieving optimal growth and development. Birds kept in a closed run may not have adequate grit source available, depending on the nature of the soil in the keeper's yard.
I remember digging sod for the girls and putting it into their brooder when they were a little over a week old. They found all sorts of goodies and it seems like the natural way.

This is a hot topic on our forums and questions like when to switch feed and what is the best feed comes up frequently. So, for our featured Topic of the Week this week I would like to ask your opinions and suggestions on feeding chickens. Specifically:

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
medicated or non-medicated:
i use unmedicated and use sslow exposure or medicated and not
when do you switch from chick crumble:
i switch to flock raiser when they 18-20 weeks with oyster shell.
is it OK to feed chick food to older birds, layer to non layers:
first question yes totally safe, second no the extra calcium can cause kidney failure and all sorts of problems thats why i use flock raiser for my birds all different ages and genders.
thoughts on organic:
i am all for natural or organic products if you can find a reasonable price and good nutrition.
When do you start feeding treats and how much:
i start at day 2 or 3 it really helps them trust me and roos are not aggressive. I feed the chicks mealworms, BSL, scrambled egg, and wet food but no scratch till they are older. I give treats in VERY small amounts daily to chicks (for taming purposes), and adults get fruits and vegetables and herbs and wet feed In summer and scratch mealworms and fruits and vegetables and herbs and wet feed in winter. I give scratch(winter only) every other day and fruits and vegetables when I have them.
Do you make or mix your own food at home and best recipe:
no but i make a Treat mix of scratch, mealworms, grit, oyster shell, and anything else i have for them.
Do you use fermented feed and what are your thoughts on it:
i dont use or know anything about it.

BTW great idea I hope this helps alot of people 👍 🙂 😊

Back
Top Bottom