Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

I'm very interested in the main feed for ducks. My vet said to put them on duck specific feed and take them off of purina. Vet said layer type for her and maintenance for him. The problem is....finding this type of feed!! Does anyone use duck specific feed? Where do you find it? Cost? What is the name brand you use?

What's the trouble? Niacin? Other vitamins? Protein percentage? Did he say anything about possibly using the same feed for both and supplementing calcium for her? Dumor layer feed is TSC brand and is for both chickens and ducks. I believe that the 18% is $13 for fifty pounds.

EDT: This site may be of some use if you want to run a nutrient comparison between the optimal feed and what you're using.

Last edited:
I feed the second one. But her vet has told her to take her birds off Purina. I don't know why though. And the only waterfowl feed I know of made here in the US is in fact made by Purina :confused:
In my neck of the woods Pyxis, there are several kinds of Purina feed. In fact all three brands I posted are local to me. I better thank my lucky stars. Did I miss the fact that it was this particular “flavor” per se. There are other Purina varieties at my stores for chickens. Like you— :confused:

In my neck of the woods Pyxis, there are several kinds of Purina feed. In fact all three brands I posted are local to me. I better thank my lucky stars. Did I miss the fact that it was this particular “flavor” per se. There are other Purina varieties at my stores for chickens. Like you— :confused:

No idea, I'm a little perplexed myself. I feed Purina flock raiser or Purina Meatbird to the young ones, and then Flock Raiser or just DuMor chick starter/grower when they're older and have no trouble with it. Haven't for ten years, in fact.

What's the trouble? Niacin? Other vitamins? Protein percentage? Did he say anything about possibly using the same feed for both and supplementing calcium for her? Dumor layer feed is TSC brand and is for both chickens and ducks. I believe that the 18% is $13 for fifty pounds.

X2, @onaharley when you call the vet I would ask why specifically they don't want you to feed Purina.

Hi,

The vet told me that what I was feeding them was formatted for chickens more then ducks and that they were getting too much of one vitamin and not enough of others.... (it was a very hectic visit as the vet was having an emergency when she was in my appt)

I have to call them anyways tomorrow and will get a better understanding of why

I was giving them the second pic (purina crumbles). Then I switched her ( the hen) over to purina layer and kept him on the crumbles.

Thanks for the pictures....I haven't seen the others so I'm going to look into those!
Although my Pekin isn’t laying yet, she has done well on the Purina flock raiser. I have a bag of oyster shell waiting for when she starts. I know their was an issue with too much vitamin A but was easily solved with cutting back on Kale treats. I’d be interested in what your vet says about Purina flock raiser, so keep us updated. No leg issues with my Pekin yet.:fl

Hi,

The vet told me that what I was feeding them was formatted for chickens more then ducks and that they were getting too much of one vitamin and not enough of others.... (it was a very hectic visit as the vet was having an emergency when she was in my appt)

Waiting to hear what they say :pop Did they do a blood draw to analyze the vitamin levels? Sorry, I'm a nosy vet tech student.

Hi,

Do you by chance have any livestock feed stores besides TSC in your area? Maybe a local one? They are more likely to have different choices.

EDT: This site may be of some use if you want to run a nutrient comparison between the optimal feed and what you'reusing.
Thank you for the link!

I will get a better understanding when I call the vet tomorrow to give you a more specific answers to your questions. (Very good questions btw)

Although my Pekin isn’t laying yet, she has done well on the Purina flock raiser. I have a bag of oyster shell waiting for when she starts. I know their was an issue with too much vitamin A but was easily solved with cutting back on Kale treats. I’d be interested in what your vet says about Purina flock raiser, so keep us updated. No leg issues with my Pekin yet.:fl
Yes I thought I was doing fine with purina and I probably still would be fine on purina. I didn't mean to imply that purina was no good to use.....I was just trying to follow what the vet instructed me to do.

Back
Top Bottom