Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Pics
Just started browsing again, mine get spaghetti, hotdogs, peas, lettuce, potatoes, cracked corn with oats, nuts mixed in, and wet dog food in summer mixed with oats and peas, had to switch too dry cat food for winter which they love, and they free range from 10 am to about 3 pm daily, they seem to be thriving, she layed 6 eggs so far, but they freeze over night, she lays at night.

Just started browsing again, mine get spaghetti, hotdogs, peas, lettuce, potatoes, cracked corn with oats, nuts mixed in, and wet dog food in summer mixed with oats and peas, had to switch too dry cat food for winter which they love, and they free range from 10 am to about 3 pm daily, they seem to be thriving, she layed 6 eggs so far, but they freeze over night, she lays at night.
Your talking Ducks right?..Not Pigs?

Hey duck friends! Two questions for everyone....
Our 2 Welshies are a year and a half old. They are on organic Purina starter/grower (18% protein) chicken feed crumbles and Sadie gets the same brand layer mixed in (1/2 & 1/2). Seems I need to switch to a maintenance flock raiser. Is this correct? (Also, any suggestions with the waste of food in their water dish/bucket? Always a sludgy mess at the bottom.)
Not related to feed but does anyone have suggestions for a small pond (150-200 gal) pump and filter for duck pond? Building a barn and would love not to have a kiddie pool to clean everyday.
Thanks for your thoughts!!

If they're laying, Layena is fine for them, or just go with Purina Flock Raiser, but make sure you have oyster shell on the side... as for the pond pump and filter, I would talk to @shawluvsbirds she has a nice, small setup... :)

If they're laying, Layena is fine for them, or just go with Purina Flock Raiser, but make sure you have oyster shell on the side... as for the pond pump and filter, I would talk to @shawluvsbirds she has a nice, small setup... :)
We actually don't have a pump or filter. Just a buried stock tank with a sink drain installed in the bottom and plumbed out to a larger pond. We plan to collect rain water from the gutters so water changes can be frequent. A filter system would be a great addition though. . if we could figure out a good way to do it.
20171217_160113.jpg
20171210_142529_HDR.jpg
20171210_142556_HDR.jpg
20171210_160934_HDR.jpg
20171217_152746.jpg

We actually don't have a pump or filter. Just a buried stock tank with a sink drain installed in the bottom and plumbed out to a larger pond. We plan to collect rain water from the gutters so water changes can be frequent. A filter system would be a great addition though. . if we could figure out a good way to do it. View attachment 1230395 View attachment 1230396 View attachment 1230398 View attachment 1230399 View attachment 1230401

Ah, oops! It's @Steven Mazzo that has a pump and filter, I believe... your setup is still absolutely amazing!!! :love :drool :love :drool

We actually don't have a pump or filter. Just a buried stock tank with a sink drain installed in the bottom and plumbed out to a larger pond. We plan to collect rain water from the gutters so water changes can be frequent. A filter system would be a great addition though. . if we could figure out a good way to do it. View attachment 1230395 View attachment 1230396 View attachment 1230398 View attachment 1230399 View attachment 1230401

That is so awesome! I am getting my first ducks in two days and I cant be more excited.

I have been working on their home for a little while and that is a really cool idea and way easier than the pumps and stuff I am using. I may have to rethink the design as I do have some time before they will go in it.

Thank you for sharing your awesome home for your duckies!

That is so awesome! I am getting my first ducks in two days and I cant be more excited.

I have been working on their home for a little while and that is a really cool idea and way easier than the pumps and stuff I am using. I may have to rethink the design as I do have some time before they will go in it.

Thank you for sharing your awesome home for your duckies!
Your welcome! Expect to rethink and change your mind 100 times before you find what works best for you lol
:lol:

Your welcome! Expect to rethink and change your mind 100 times before you find what works best for you lol
:lol:

LOL, yea, I already re-did their brooder last night based on some posts I saw here.

I do have a question for anyone who can answer...

Metzer sent me the email saying my ducklings are in transit.

It said 'Waterfowl don't like mash'.

I am doing fermented feed (scratch and pecks) and they said Duckling love fermented feed...I am now a little confused as there is so much conflicting info out there and I just got my Storeys Book of Ducks today so I guess I will peruse the book and see what they say...

Is mash just adding water? Does that make ducks sick?

Should I just give them the fermented feed see if they eat it, if not give them dry?

Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom