Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

Pics
Lime water preservation is also called "water glassing". There are a bunch of threads on it if you are interested. However, it doesn't really sound like you are concerned with preserving eggs. Freezing is also a good solution, but takes freezer space.
Frozen doesn't stay good as long either.

My biggest concern with water glassing is the heat where I am. We have a couple of months of intense heat and we don't run the ac at night...we don't set it lower then 80 during the day either. I worry the heat will ruin the eggs.

I'll have to look for those threads. No time like now to try it🤗

Eat ‘em, give to neighbors, sell some, feed the dogs, feed some back to the chickens….but one thing I’ll never do….https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-urine-eggs-idUSBRE82S0EE20120329
Virgin Boy Eggs. Idk. Just……

But why would I want that smell in the area? Let alone….do I go door to door at the neighbors houses asking for them to give me their kids piss?
No disrespect to people from China or those that do this, but….just no!

I either eat them, give away to family or friends oh, and I always give some to the chickens they love it and I usually already have more eggs than I need I don't know what I'm going to do when my seven other pullets come in to lay plus the girls right now I'll probably end up selling there eggs

This morning at 6:30 i took an egg from the box put it in my pocket and headed to the garden. When that egg fell from my pocket on the ground, i scooped it up and threw it in the run. The girls gobbled it all up! I eat eggs daily and when i have extra, i share or bake some egg needing desserts or pancakes. I'll freeze the pancakes for another time. I went to my grams and she buys eggs from the grocery store. When i prepared them for her, and served them, the scrambled eggs looked white!! I was in disbelief. Wheres all the rich, yellow color? My scrambled eggs are YELLOW! Hers were white. Yuk. 🐓❤️

Frozen doesn't stay good as long either.

My biggest concern with water glassing is the heat where I am. We have a couple of months of intense heat and we don't run the ac at night...we don't set it lower then 80 during the day either. I worry the heat will ruin the eggs.

I'll have to look for those threads. No time like now to try it🤗
I set my cooling at 80 as well. The eggs keep fine. I've generally use my preserved eggs 8-9 months after collecting, though water glassing is supposed to be good for ~18 months. The technique was used long before refrigeration/AC was available and has worked well for me, so I trust the process.

Here is a very good thread on the topic: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/water-glassing-egg-preservation-experiment.1428588/

Back
Top Bottom