Topic of the Week - What do you do with all those eggs?

Pics
We freeze dry them. Which ensures we have plenty. To use for cooking and baking through the holiday season (cookies, small loaves of different kinds bread with a few different jellies and jams are welcome presents) and winter. Even with us selling eggs. Our hens are usually productive enough. To supply us with fresh eggs for table use year round.

I handle my eggs precisely as I do the rest of my food production- whether annual vegetables, berry vines & bushes or fruit trees.

Eat most- it is some of the best quality/nutritious food available.

Sell some, give some away- share that quality food with others.

Feed some to my chickens- they enjoy and benefit as well.

Preserve some (using the water-glass technique) to save from the spring flush of eggs for winter rather than switching to lower quality store-bought eggs. Be the ant, rather than the grasshopper.

Make noodles! Especially in the summer when my guineas are laying. Guinea eggs make wonderful noodles. When the noodles are thoroughly dried I will vacuum seal them in bags and store in the freezer. In the winter when the guineas aren't laying and the chicken hens aren't laying many eggs I can still have chicken and noodles whenever I want. No store bought eggs in this household! :old

Make noodles!
Do you have a recipe to share? I love pasta, but am trying to diet and need to watch carbs … any chance at reducing the flour or using whole wheat flour or something?
I’ve also always wanted to donate some to a food pantry a few times a month but I’m not sure if they have some sort of health code I would have to meet.
It definitely depends on your local/state regulations. Just call and find out. The staff/volunteers should be able to tell you what they can take or not. I am fortunate that my local pantry does take eggs!

View attachment 2680976

As we all know eggs are a welcome benefit of keeping chickens, but sometimes, especially after chicken math hits and the flock grew, some of us may have the wonderful dilemma of having a few too many eggs! I'm curious to hear what you all do with your chickens' eggs. Especially the extra ones.

Pic by @chicken pickin

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
I like to either give the eggs away to my neighbors or fry then to mix with dog food for the pups. They love 'em!

Do you have a recipe to share? I love pasta, but am trying to diet and need to watch carbs … any chance at reducing the flour or using whole wheat flour or something?

It definitely depends on your local/state regulations. Just call and find out. The staff/volunteers should be able to tell you what they can take or not. I am fortunate that my local pantry does take eggs!
I always use white whole wheat flour. The simple recipe is just eggs, salt and enough flour to make the dough. Sometimes I will add a little ground flax seed to add fiber. Not sure there is any way to reduce the carbs but the fiber from the whole wheat and ground flax will help offset the kick from the carbs. :old

We freeze some...though we never seem to use those! We have some friends who don't own chickens that we give eggs to. Hubby also takes some to work now and then to share with co-workers. We pickle some and feed some back to our birds. The peas like theirs scrambled and the chickens like theirs anyway they can get them. We occasionally treat the dogs with some... usually scrambled for the dogs. The frozen eggs always seem to end up as pet treats...not sure why I always keep some frozen 😂!
I've read about a way to keep them fresh long term by using lime water that I've always wanted to try...but chicken math kinda made sure we have no reason to preserve eggs! 🫣🤫😁🥰

Lime water preservation is also called "water glassing". There are a bunch of threads on it if you are interested. However, it doesn't really sound like you are concerned with preserving eggs. Freezing is also a good solution, but takes freezer space.

Back
Top Bottom