Topic of the Week - When eggs go wrong

I've noticed the blue egg and white eggs sometimes have this weird internal speckle to them.

Their fresh egg from today doesn't look like this but the eggs that are a couple of days old look like they have developed a speckle inside the shell.

Is this normal or am I going to crack these eggs and find something gross?

Attachments

• PXL_20220819_095334190.jpg
    PXL_20220819_095334190.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220819_095404416.jpg
    PXL_20220819_095404416.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220819_095443654.jpg
    PXL_20220819_095443654.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 3
Had this weirdo today, from some farm eggs I bought. Was a double yolker but the second yolk was stuck to shell/membrane. Gunna use what came out in some baking I think
5CA624D5-5555-467D-8FDD-EAF18253D89E.jpeg

Associated question: why are my very fresh hard boiled eggs so hard to peel? What should I be doing to majke them easy-peel the next day?
I destroyed the first one I tried peeling. My (far more patient husband) had to peel the rest so I could make an egg salad. He didn't do all that well either.
Enter friend with diabetic dog. Her dog loves hard boiled eggs for a treat, so my friend bought a gismo called "Dash" that steams them. She said that aside from not having to mess around with timing them, they practically peeled themselves. So I got one. I just tried it with two grocery-store eggs and the rest all my chickens' eggs. I cooled them in a bowl of ice water and peeled them. The grocery-store ones did peel super easily and my chickens' eggs were definitely harder than those, but it was one heck of an improvement. The first one had a piece of white come off with the shell, but all the others survived intact. It was easily worth the 12 bucks I spent on it.

I destroyed the first one I tried peeling. My (far more patient husband) had to peel the rest so I could make an egg salad. He didn't do all that well either.
Enter friend with diabetic dog. Her dog loves hard boiled eggs for a treat, so my friend bought a gismo called "Dash" that steams them. She said that aside from not having to mess around with timing them, they practically peeled themselves. So I got one. I just tried it with two grocery-store eggs and the rest all my chickens' eggs. I cooled them in a bowl of ice water and peeled them. The grocery-store ones did peel super easily and my chickens' eggs were definitely harder than those, but it was one heck of an improvement. The first one had a piece of white come off with the shell, but all the others survived intact. It was easily worth the 12 bucks I spent on it.
Hey, thanks for sharing your story! I will definitely look at the DASH, if no microwave needed. Steaming instead of boiling! Was the egg texture different?

Hey, thanks for sharing your story! I will definitely look at the DASH, if no microwave needed. Steaming instead of boiling! Was the egg texture different?
Sort of. This time they weren't rubbery. 😁 I usually overcook them (badly) because I DON'T want them runny - even a little in the very center - but this thing did them perfectly - all the way through - without overcooking them. Normal hard-boiled egg without being at all rubbery. And no microwave. Just plug it into an outlet.

This week I would like to see and hear about when your hens got egg-laying very wrong.
I had a hen who regularly laid an egg without a shell. Sometimes I found the whole egg, sometimes an empty membrane. I hoped she would get over it after a period of not laying (a moult and a winter). But unfortunately it went very wrong. After a couple of months she got an internal infection and died.

Back
Top Bottom