Toulouse Geese Thread

I house my ducks, geese, and chickens in the same house. My chickens haven't laid since November, when they all started to shut themselves in for the winter (they all have the liberty to come and go as they wish, but with the snow, all the chickens stayed in for nearly a month, rarely venturing out in the snow. The geese and ducks are out in it every day, irregardless of temperature). I suspect my chickens won't lay on account of the geese. Every time one of the hens jump down, a goose will go in and hiss at the chickens. And suggestions?

I have to say, this is THE prettiest frosted windows I have seen since I was a child! I used to run to my bedroom window and pull back the curtains to see if 'Jack Frost' had been there the night before! These are beautiful!
I used to push my finger through the frost to make designs....
big_smile.png
Childhood memories....double glazing and central heating isn´t quite the same, eh?
lol.png

I have to say, this is THE prettiest frosted windows I have seen since I was a child! I used to run to my bedroom window and pull back the curtains to see if 'Jack Frost' had been there the night before! These are beautiful!
I thought so too. I had to go back in and grab the camera because I was also impressed!

I house my ducks, geese, and chickens in the same house. My chickens haven't laid since November, when they all started to shut themselves in for the winter (they all have the liberty to come and go as they wish, but with the snow, all the chickens stayed in for nearly a month, rarely venturing out in the snow. The geese and ducks are out in it every day, irregardless of temperature). I suspect my chickens won't lay on account of the geese. Every time one of the hens jump down, a goose will go in and hiss at the chickens. And suggestions?
I have noticed that whenever my geese get into the hen house they are very pushy and bossy as well. So, I house my geese with my overflow roosters. They were all hatched about the same time and so raised together, maybe that helps. my Hens wont go out unless it is above freezing. The roosters tend to follow the geese out, but go back in very quickly after. I have a light on a timer that comes on early in the morning and it stays on later in the evening as well. I think it helps and I have been been able to keep some of my hens laying. (I get eggs from about half the hens every day)

I used to push my finger through the frost to make designs....
big_smile.png
Childhood memories....double glazing and central heating isn´t quite the same, eh?
lol.png
I used to do the same thing! unfortunately, the goose/duck house does not have central heat, nor glazed windows. ;)

My goose has been a very erratic layer this past week. The first week was great with an egg every other day. This last week she has been laying soft shelled eggs almost every day. I have added oystershell and egg shells into a bin, but now I have to go to town and get some more, and find another way to put them in there. She keeps spilling them. She eats the egg shells and then dumps the oyster shell. Maybe she just doesn't like the oyster stuff.
hu.gif
Yesterday was the first day she didn't lay anything finally, so maybe today we will get something.

At present, I don't have any other housing option for the birds. As soon as the ground thaws, we'll have a kennel for the puppies, which are currently housed in the front half of the chicken coop. There is a fenced section and a door that separates the two areas. We're thinking of giving the chickens the front half and the geese/ducks the back half. Do you think that would be enough separation for them, or should I board up the bottom 3 feet of the divider, so the geese can't see the chickens?

I thought so too. I had to go back in and grab the camera because I was also impressed!

I have noticed that whenever my geese get into the hen house they are very pushy and bossy as well. So, I house my geese with my overflow roosters. They were all hatched about the same time and so raised together, maybe that helps. my Hens wont go out unless it is above freezing. The roosters tend to follow the geese out, but go back in very quickly after. I have a light on a timer that comes on early in the morning and it stays on later in the evening as well. I think it helps and I have been been able to keep some of my hens laying. (I get eggs from about half the hens every day)

I used to do the same thing! unfortunately, the goose/duck house does not have central heat, nor glazed windows. ;)

My goose has been a very erratic layer this past week. The first week was great with an egg every other day. This last week she has been laying soft shelled eggs almost every day. I have added oystershell and egg shells into a bin, but now I have to go to town and get some more, and find another way to put them in there. She keeps spilling them. She eats the egg shells and then dumps the oyster shell. Maybe she just doesn't like the oyster stuff.
hu.gif
Yesterday was the first day she didn't lay anything finally, so maybe today we will get something.
I use one of these to put out Oyster shell on one side and grit on the other it screws to the wall so they can['t stick their big foot in it. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...l-feeder-2x175-qt-capacity-black?cm_vc=-10005 I only put out grit in winter when the ground is frozen solid in warm months both sides have OS in them. $4.99 at TSC

This is exciting - I got my first nest builder today! She does have that really low voice + the nest building attempt really should = at least 1 female out of 7 geese. Well, only lasted about half an hour and she is already out with the others again... I'll start putting out some oyster shells just in case.

This is exciting - I got my first nest builder today!  She does have that really low voice + the nest building attempt really should = at least 1 female out of 7 geese.  Well, only lasted about half an hour and she is already out with the others again...  I'll start putting out some oyster shells just in case.

Congrats. Jealous! ;)

1I'm begging from as many places as I can tonight, looking for someone who may have a diaper pattern for my sebastopol geese from newborn on up as I am hoping my "Bella" will be giving some eggs soon! I would also like to know where it is (with and x) their oil gland that I have to watch out for as this is the first goose pattern that I will be making. PM me me if you or someone you know has one. I have a chicken diaper pattern for a silkie should someone need that. I think it shouldn't be to hard to enlarge it
Thank you so much for your time

Back
Top Bottom