Toulouse Geese Thread

I am deciding either to Toulouse geese or pilgrims. What is a better gosling producer and which one is a better breed for foraging

I am deciding either to Toulouse geese or pilgrims. What is a better gosling producer and which one is a better breed for foraging
I think you can't go wrong with either, geese are naturals at brooding and raising goslings both gander and goose. I can only say for mine I have Toulouse they are awesome parents and great foragers. the females more so, the gander just stands guard most of the time. My Toulouse goose and Embden gander raised 2 goslings last year and the gosling are now almost 1 yr old and they are still very protective of them.

Last edited:
I think you can't go wrong with either, geese are naturals at brooding and raising goslings both gander and goose. I can only say for mine I have Toulouse they are awesome parents and great foragers. the females more so, the gander just stands guard most of the time. My Toulouse goose and Embden gander raised 2 goslings last year and the gosling are now almost 1 yr old and they are still very protective of them.
Great thanks!
1f600.png

Metzer has a pretty good chart that compares breeds of geese located at http://www.metzerfarms.com/GooseBreedComparison.cfm?CustID=4500287 though it does not actually address foraging it does show weed control which might be pretty close. As you can see the Toulouse has a higher average fertility percentage and both are "good" foragers.

In the interest of disclosure yes I am a very happy Toulouse owner though I like to think I don't discriminate.

when do toulouse start laying . and how any to aspect. ( only the ones that have toulouse geese should answer) .
You can expect up to 30 eggs per season per goose. If you have only females you can stop there. If you have a gander there may be breeding and eventual sitting on a nest which will stop the laying process.

I have three. One gander and two females. They laid about 20-25 eggs between them when one went broody and sat the nest. A clutch of about 15 or so. At that point they both stopped laying. Once the goslings hatched (8 of them) the goose that did not sit the nest laid another 2-3 eggs then stopped to dedicate her time to helping care for the young.

You will note I said 30 eggs per season. Geese do not lay year around. They lay during their mating season and then stop until the next season. Mating season is roughly from Dec/Jan thru Apr/May. The rest of the year is spent on raising young if there are any and just being the majestic birds that they are.

Okay I have I stupid question, my Toulouse have pink feet and I've seen some Toulouse with black feet. Which is correct or is both alright?

You can expect up to 30 eggs per season per goose. If you have only females you can stop there. If you have a gander there may be breeding and eventual sitting on a nest which will stop the laying process.

I have three. One gander and two females. They laid about 20-25 eggs between them when one went broody and sat the nest. A clutch of about 15 or so. At that point they both stopped laying. Once the goslings hatched (8 of them) the goose that did not sit the nest laid another 2-3 eggs then stopped to dedicate her time to helping care for the young.

You will note I said 30 eggs per season. Geese do not lay year around. They lay during their mating season and then stop until the next season. Mating season is roughly from Dec/Jan thru Apr/May. The rest of the year is spent on raising young if there are any and just being the majestic birds that they are.

you said they lay 30 ... so why dose wikipedia say.' An average Toulouse lays 220-240 eggs per year the best layer ' .... they say the same thing about the pomeranians . they said pomeranians will lay 70+ . but they did say some will produce less . so that be confusing me. but thanks for the answer :) !!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom