Toulouse goose with broken leg

We have made a sling for our goose as well. The doctor suggested it as a way to help her heal. We only put her in it when she is under supervision, usually in the kitchen, as she tends to break free also. We worry that she could end up doing herself more harm. We tried to fashion a seatbelt of sorts but she still flaps herself free. As far as the broken bone, I assume it could potentially heal on its own, depending on how bad it is. Ours was completely broken and required surgery, so it all depends.

I see you say it is just splintered, so maybe keeping the bird immobile will be enough. Have you made a splint or wrapped it to help keep it from breaking further?

Here is a picture of ours in the kennel. She stays in here most of the day. We let her out in the mornings and at nights to just hang out in the kitchen. During the day we put her outside in the crate where we can keep an eye on her. We have another goose that gets quite angry if we dont bring her out. She will sit on the front porch and call to her. Since she has started feeling better she loves to stand, of course it is only on one leg, but she has great bablance.

I wonder if the leg was wrapped to be in proper position and immobile if it would heal better. I can't tell how your goose is wrapped @DaemsHaven but if you could show the member a better pic maybe she could help her turkeys by wrapping similar.

Your goose looks great what did the vet say about her leg?

That was wrapping done by the vet after the pin was put in. The vet said she is healing nicely. He said the heat in the foot is a good sign and he can see that she is starting to respond to touch in the feet. He wants us to start exercising and massaging the foot to help promote blood flow to the area. He thinks this will bring about more healing. He seemed pleased with her progress.

This is how we had wrapped it before we took her to the vet to help immobilize the leg. The vet said it wouldn't have healed correctly since it was a full break but that we did a great job making sure she didnt hurt herself further.

Here is a photo of Lucy and Katie before the incident. This was taken right after we got them. They came together and are inseparable so this has been pretty stressful for both of them.

That was wrapping done by the vet after the pin was put in. The vet said she is healing nicely. He said the heat in the foot is a good sign and he can see that she is starting to respond to touch in the feet. He wants us to start exercising and massaging the foot to help promote blood flow to the area. He thinks this will bring about more healing. He seemed pleased with her progress.
Might try some coconut oil along with massage just don't put her on a slippery surface after unless you clean off the bottom of her foot real well.

I am so happy for you that the vet is encouraged.

Back
Top Bottom