Toxic Plants

MWHITLEY

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Omak, Washington
Does everyone make sure to rid their property of any toxic plants before letting their ducks range? I'm particularly concerned with morning glories b/c that is one farm favorite that I know is toxic to ducks. So just curious, do they tend to have better things to do while out ranging than pick at plants that could be bad for them? Or do we have to duck proof everything? Thoughts?

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. As long as its not the only thing to forage on they prob wouldn't bother with it. But my luck nature taking its course would leave me with 15 little duck caskets :)

I wouldn't worry about it. Ducks are pretty smart and there are so many other things to graze on in your yard they probably won't bother the Morning glories. Even if they happen to eat them, they probably wont die unless they eat a large quantity. Like when humans eat something poisonous, we don't just die, we get sick. (well it really depends how much you eat and what it was) They should be perfectly fine :)
wee.gif

Every now and then ducks will get into something not good for them. We have morning glories here and there around the place, and they seem to leave them pretty much alone. I have been working on getting rid of pokeweed, and that is a mammoth task. But no pokeweed casualties at this point, either.

Pokeweed may not be totally bad . . . some wild birds eat it (but then again....). It's tricky to sort out what's okay for ducks and not. I know pokeweed has quite a bit of oxalic acid in it, as well as some other toxic compounds. Oxalic acid interferes with calcium absorption, and with all my girls, that's not a good thing.

I would not offer it to the ducks, to be on the safe side. I think it's a pretty plant. But it wants to take over my forest garden and I'm not having that.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom