Toys for quail???

Our pet quail, Chalupa, loves toys! Anything she can walk under or peck at. I've been getting very creative and crafty with my toy ideas for her. I got cheap mops from the dollar store, took off the stick, drilled a small hole in the plastic part and attached a paperclip so I can hang it in her home. A few of those in there and she LOVES to get cozy underneath them. Anywhere we can put small wash cloths (aka "blankets"), she'll get cozy on those.

I have also found inexpensive bird toys that hang long with bells on the ends, she likes to peck at those. Anything that's shiny or with lettering she'll peck constantly! I found some pom poms that are shiny.

Mirrors are also fascinating to her. She could stare at herself forever. Hahaha I got a "fun house mirror" that I set on the ground. That's been her new favorite thing.

And of course anything else that she can hide in or near are good when she wants to nap. Our local bird shop actually have bird tents! Yes, it's silly, but that's the whole point! Put a blanket in there and she'll be content until she needs to stretch out her legs and eat!

Tents sound so cute! I'd be wary of mirrors, though—I've heard some birds can become territorial around their reflection because they can't recognize themselves.

I've stopped trying to give mine toys. They just aren't that interested. Instead, I find them spending time "foraging," dust-bathing, and napping in covered areas. But I can see toys being super important to birds kept in tighter spaces—any enriching helps!

P1280337.JPG

So I have quail, and would getting parrot toys without the perch work to keep them happy? I know they can’t perch, but what toys are there for quail and does anyone have ideas? From all i’ve seen, they just like to play with string and roll things around, so would parrot toys(maybe slightly modified) work? Or should I make something?
Our Quail loves his dust bath. You can just get a little cooking tray that is a few centimetres tall and fill it up with kids play sand. You can also get them a mirror.

Hi
I have a 7 week old valley quail that i rescued, and i feel like she is getting bored well i am gone in the day, and i am unable to get her a friend.
And I've already been giving her hides, live bugs, higher level in her cage to fly on Friends. Do you think there's anything else I can do? (She is in a 3 by 1 1/2 foot rabbit cage and is 2 feet high)

The bottom of the cage is wire so I can't put in substrate for her to dust bathing but I do put a tub of dirt in there for her to dust bathing, and i take her out side in her cage to sun bathing. Do you guys have any advice?

Hi
I have a 7 week old valley quail that i rescued, and i feel like she is getting bored well i am gone in the day, and i am unable to get her a friend.
And I've already been giving her hides, live bugs, higher level in her cage to fly on Friends. Do you think there's anything else I can do? (She is in a 3 by 1 1/2 foot rabbit cage and is 2 feet high)

The bottom of the cage is wire so I can't put in substrate for her to dust bathing but I do put a tub of dirt in there for her to dust bathing, and i take her out side in her cage to sun bathing. Do you guys have any advice?
More than bored, she is probably very lonely. It sounds like you've done a good job giving her enrichment (dirt, bugs, sunshine). You could try adding a mirror to try to address loneliness. Being alone for long stretches of time is probably very hard for her.

More than bored, she is probably very lonely. It sounds like you've done a good job giving her enrichment (dirt, bugs, sunshine). You could try adding a mirror to try to address loneliness. Being alone for long stretches of time is probably very hard for her.
I have added in a mirror and she loves it. Thanks for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom