Tragedy today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SurferchickinSB, Aug 22, 2019.

1. LeggyLeghorn

LeggyLeghorn Songster

May 2, 2019
    Co. Waterford Ireland
    hi I am sorry to learn of Coco suddenly dying. I like your images of her, beautiful bird. Perhaps you will find out what caused her to die. Chickens are strange creatures. I have lost a hen to unknown cause. its upsetting when they're your mates.

Sequel, SurferchickinSB and ValerieJ like this.
  2. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    She was a Barnevelder.

3. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    My condolences as well. :hugs

Sequel, SurferchickinSB and ValerieJ like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. I lost my only barnvelder suddenly at the age of 9 months a few years ago before I started doing necropsies on my losses. With a professional necropsy, you should hopefully findout what happened.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I keep going back to look at her pic...that breast lacing is superb, in contrast with the black surrounding, it takes my breath away.

6. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Yeah, I use to stare at her for long periods of time, she almost didn’t look real, she looked like a metallic chicken. I really miss seeing her in my flock. Thanks aart:)

Sequel, ValerieJ and aart like this.
  7. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    @SurferchickinSB, again, I am so sorry for your sudden loss, but I am definitely going to look into this breed when I am ready to add a few to my flock this spring because you posted her picture. She was stunningly beautiful.

8. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    I have not gotten my results back yet, it has been a week since Coco was sent in. I have been sort of reading up on what it could’ve been and I am thinking maybe a respiratory illness since she was breathing with her mouth open right before she died, but it also was a hot day that day. The one thing I did read that is associated to respiratory viruses is wrinkled eggs. Coco laid wrinkled eggs for about a week or so a few months ago and also at that time her egg quality changed, She always laid the most beautiful eggs. They always looked like they had been polished with a clear varnish. The eggs were always shiny. After she laid the wrinkled eggs her eggs were coming out sort of dull and not shiny anymore. Does anyone know anything about respiratory viruses? I am just wondering if my other chickens also have it, if that is what Coco had. Does anybody know if the wrinkled eggs and the respiratory viruses are connected?

Sequel and BigBlueHen53 like this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    So 'they' say...and I have seen it here, tho it's anecdotal as no testing or treatment was done.
    Pair of Brahma hens that I got with my first flock, both had mild runny noses/bubbly eyes in winter and laid wrinkled eggs. They never appeared to be 'sick', active and laying. Both symptoms(ailments and eggs) disappeared after a few months with no intervention.

10. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Thank you for this update, SurferChick. I have been wondering if you'd heard anything yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: