Tragedy today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SurferchickinSB, Aug 22, 2019.

1. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Thanks, I thought maybe she could have gotten stung by a wasp. I had bought a wasp trap this morning because I saw a yellow jacket flying around in the backyard and I was scared it might sting one of my animals.

2. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Thank you, no none of my chickens ever lay eggs outside of the nest areas. About an hour or two after the hawk attack, she laid a jelly egg and then she never laid after that. That was last week. I call it a jelly egg because it did not even have a softshell, it was just like egg white.

ChickNanny13, townchicks and ValerieJ like this.
  3. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Oh well, hopefully after they do the necropsy, they will be able to tell me what happened. I will let you guys know what the results are. I guess I am just wasting my time wondering, so I will just wait for the results.

4. I actually lost my Big Mama hen last week. She was two. I think she had reproductive issues but on her last day she was lively and ranging more than usual. At coop time I couldn’t find her anywhere. My hubby and I looked for for about an hour and a half that night and couldn’t find her. She didn’t turn up the next day. On Friday my husband found her in the tack room of the barn. She had some amount of decomposition so we’re sure she probably died Wednesday. I just don’t know. We didn’t send her for autopsy because of the decomp. It’s very hard. We miss her especially my little runt who hung out with her.

5. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Yeah so sorry for you too, I just can’t believe my Coco died today.

6. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Thank you, yes I will post the results. Do you think it could have been a heart attack? Because her comb and wattles were extremely pale when I found her and usually they are bright red or do they lose their coloring when they die?

7. Yes. I understand. And in such a short period of time. :hugs

8. Kayla's Lunch

Kayla's Lunch Songster

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland
    So sorry for your loss. She was really beautiful!

9. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The great thing about the neropsy is we won't need to resort to wild guessing and conjecture. If Coco had a heart attack, the necropsy will find the heart destroyed. It may even be able to tell you why the heart ruptured if that's what killed her.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Condolences :(
    She was gorgeous.
    Lost one a month ago, dropped dead within 10 minutes of being let out into run one morning. Never did figure out why, she either choked or ran into the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: