tragic accident and question re small chicks...

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
An animal got into my nice little hutch in which Fluffy (my Silkie hen) was happily raising 5 baby chicks. I found one chick alive, did not find the other four.

I found Fluffy, and although she appears a little chewed up, I think she will live. Of course I am not sure. I held her and held her and she clucked sadly the whole time.

I am terribly upset.

Now, Fluffy just has one chick, which I think will help her recover, but she really liked her babies. I have a few RIR's that are only a few days old. Do you think if I put a couple chicks under her they would think they were hers, or is it too late for them? And would Fluffy accept them?

She is such a gentle hen that I cannot imagine her hurting them.

Please give me advice.

Catherine (IggiMom)

I am so sorry for your Loss!!!

I have heard of hens fostering chicks!!! Maybe it would work! I really think it would be worth a try! I would just keep an eye on them and add the chicks at night.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Thank you so much. I will try it tonight.

I have a lot of chickens, and sometimes I lose some to preditors, but Fluffy is a big pet.

Catherine

I tried it once and the hen did not take to the chick. Some say they develope a bond piping inside the egg before it hatches. Maybe it was just my hen because I have also heard of them taking them in. Watch them close when you put them in and let us know how it works out! Good luck

Thanks. I just feel so horrible about this. She and her chick have not emerged yet, and they were such a happy little family.

Catherine

I'd say to try the adoption. Our Silkie broody hen took right to her five little week old chicks we gave her to raise--is being a terrific mother to them, but when we got another set of new chicks for another broody hen who refused them, and then tried a couple of the little new ones with our broody Silkie mama, she pecked the newcomers, would have nothing to do with them, nor let them get near her five adoptees. It's a touchy world, we've learned, having hens take in chicks. When it works, it's a wonder, but when it doesn't, then you are left being the chickie mama with heat lamp and lots of checking on little ones. Best wishes! ~G

I think it's definitely worth a try. Usually broody hens will accept more chicks if they're around the same size, and sometimes even if they aren't.

I'm so sorry for your loss of the four chicks, and your poor Fluffy being injured!
hugs.gif
It's so awful when these things happen, but I think we've all had sad experiences like that.

Fluffy is out and eating! I am so happy!

I do have plenty of chicks under a heat lamp, but hate to have poor Fluffy only have one when she seemed to enjoy them so much.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Catherine

I am sorry about your hen and chicks! I hope she makes it and lives to have more chicks and I hope the fostering attempt works. Sometimes they can die of shock rather than the injury, but if she's made it this long, she probably wont die from shock. Good luck, I hope she recovers!

Back
Top Bottom