Training LGD Questions

murphyfarm

Chirping
Jan 6, 2016
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Today I went outside to find my kid had left the door to the coop open and accidentally let our newly adopted 4 year old pyr and our 7 month old lab/pyr/anatolian out. There were no dead birds, but we found the end of a wing and three of our birds had gone missing including our now lopsided jersey giant. How do I deal with the two boys to make sure this doesn't happen again? I am at a loss and I am not sure if we should get rid of the dogs entirely or help them work through it. I am reluctant to give away the dogs, because we just adopted one and the other is too young to determine if he is a good LGD yet. My chickens are definitely closer to my heart, so I need assistance to help decide what to do.

Hello Murphyfarm:  Sorry to hear of the loss of your chickens.  I'm sure the Lab pup got a taste of them.  However; I'm skeptical that the GWP may have .  In my years of raising barnyard chickens, and hunting dogs, once a dog tastes blood, he's ruined.  I've heard of many old tales on how to cure them, but it's not worth losing more of your favorite poultry to find out if they're going to work for U.  As for the 3 acres and a GWPyrenese If it is a male, and U have open range, then the whole country is his.  They love to roam. If your place is fenced in to hold sheep, and goats, he'll more than likely stay put as long as he has livestock to guard.  I knew a couple who owned several GWP on a small exotic sheep farm, and one big male dog  was a house pet.  

The day I bought my 1st GWP; it's Sire had just killed a coyote before I arrived.  The Yote came up to the fence, and the old boy ran to meet it, reached through the wire fence, and snatched the Yote, and pulled it through the fence , and killed it right there.

No correct even with your after the statement correction below.

I hope nzpouter is right. We recently adopted a Free to good home 11 mo old walker coonhound to live outside and deter the ground predators. He was raised with ducks and chickens. After three weeks here and showing little interest in the chickens we left for Labor day weekend on Friday afternoon. Saturday when the pet sitter came by to lock uo the coop and put feed down she found two dead chickens and a third injured. He toyed and played with them plucking feathers until he killed two.

He has not shown any interest in them since. We learned a hard lesson. We will never again allow him unfettered access to the chickens. We feel awful

Gonna watch this thread and hope to hear some good advice. For now we have a shock collar and diligent eye.
boredom... and has your chicken got used to him? A lot of people forgot there are 2 species involved here, if your chicken start to squawk and flaps when he approach this can be a big temptation to a pup.

First let me say I have no experience with LSG dogs. I did a lot of research on Great Pyranees because I wanted one. Ended up buying a home on only 3 acres and have been told by all breeders I spoke with, this is not even close to enough room for a Great Pyranees. So I have put that idea to rest.

Ok, my opinion, the 4 year old is beyond training with chickens, UNLESS it was raised around chickens. You then need to convey to the dog the chickens are your property & they will then guard the chickens.

The 7 month old should've started training at 1 month. I know, ideally I am just saying. But try to start today. There are lots of members here who raise LSG. I will try to get you some members names. They will be able to better advise you.

@Sagetown and @CanuckBock are 2 members who raise LSG dogs. Hopefully they, or someone else with experience can chime in to help you.:D Good luck and please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Hello Murphyfarm: Sorry to hear of the loss of your chickens. I'm sure the Lab pup got a taste of them. However; I'm skeptical that the GWP may have . In my years of raising barnyard chickens, and hunting dogs, once a dog tastes blood, he's ruined. I've heard of many old tales on how to cure them, but it's not worth losing more of your favorite poultry to find out if they're going to work for U. As for the 3 acres and a GWPyrenese If it is a male, and U have open range, then the whole country is his. They love to roam. If your place is fenced in to hold sheep, and goats, he'll more than likely stay put as long as he has livestock to guard. I knew a couple who owned several GWP on a small exotic sheep farm, and one big male dog was a house pet.

The day I bought my 1st GWP; it's Sire had just killed a coyote before I arrived. The Yote came up to the fence, and the old boy ran to meet it, reached through the wire fence, and snatched the Yote, and pulled it through the fence , and killed it right there.

Why is it people still believe the myth called "taste of blood"? All our dogs are fed raw and that includes chickens.... they all live and stay with our poultry even when we're not home. It's the chase and catch thrill that does it.... and that, is driven by fun and non training. When this becomes an ongoing habit then yes, it's near impossible to break, but an accident, can be cured with time and consistency.

Last edited:
I hope nzpouter is right. We recently adopted a Free to good home 11 mo old walker coonhound to live outside and deter the ground predators. He was raised with ducks and chickens. After three weeks here and showing little interest in the chickens we left for Labor day weekend on Friday afternoon. Saturday when the pet sitter came by to lock uo the coop and put feed down she found two dead chickens and a third injured. He toyed and played with them plucking feathers until he killed two.

He has not shown any interest in them since. We learned a hard lesson. We will never again allow him unfettered access to the chickens. We feel awful

Gonna watch this thread and hope to hear some good advice. For now we have a shock collar and diligent eye.

Why is it people still believe the myth called "taste of blood"? All our dogs are fed raw and that includes chickens.... they all live and stay with our poultry even when we're not home. It's the chase and catch thrill that does it.... and that, is driven by fun and non training. When this becomes an ongoing habit then yes, it's near impossible to break, but an accident, can be cured with time and consistency.
When I say 'TASTE of BLOOD'. It is a cliche, {not a myth}; Meaning exactly what U described (when dogs go on a killing rampage ) .

First off you only have one LGD...The Pyrenees is your best bet right now...The Cross is young and needs more training.....Leaving the young dog out with flighty Chickens is setting him up for failure. Like leaving a 3 year old alone with a bowl of candy...
The young dog will and can learn but will take time...Two dogs seeing chickens run if not given proper training will always chase the chicken..
If the LGD was trained to protect, he is not your problem right now.....

Back
Top Bottom