Trampled Chick

Lazy Farmer

Gallus gallus domesticus
7 Years
Feb 28, 2017
Florida Peninsula
My Coop
My Coop

One of the largest and strongest chicks from a large batch yesterday has been trampled and piled upon. It is weak but alive. I have partitioned it a small section and periodically dip his beak in electrolytes and does not seen to be getting better. This happened about 8 this morning upon discovery and it is almost 5pm now. I think that is all
I can do. Keep it hydrated and hope for the best. It has a tiny drop of watery blood that came out of his bum on a paper towel.
Just hope it's not in any pain or suffering. Have my fingers crossed but don't think that is enough. Bummer.

View media item 7892593View media item 7892592View media item 7892591

Last edited:
Update: now 7:30ish finished feeding all the big critters outside and came back to find his eyes open and not breathing so hard. Taking sips of electrolytes solution on his own. Dipping his beak and pulling back swallowing. I know that don't mean he's out of the woods but still hanging tight. Fingers still crossed.
Anyone ever have a new born bounce back from an injury??

Just a tad over 24 hrs.. Still coherent and a bit stronger. Sipping still but mobility challenged. Still we have our fingers crossed. We realize if the poor little dude survives, he may have a permanent handicap. At least he eyes are wide open. Yesterday they were barely open.
I won't give up.

On a lighter note. Today is day 23 since incubation start and a faint cheep and small peep still in the bator. Too weak to chip. I chipped off as much shell as possible and part of the outer membrane and placed it back so it could finish it's process. This has been a very eventful batch to say the least.
Goodness gracious...

one time probably over ten ago, I had a limp chick, other chicks stepped on it because it was limp.I don't believe this was why it was limp. (sometimes the first few days they can seem fine, problems can happen 3-5 days after hatch) Anyhow, I refused to give up on that chick, whose eyes were closed and didn't stand. I massaged it willed it to live and carried it about. (I think it like the stimulation) I gave it yolk water, even took it to the plant nursery shopping. It recovered and went living life as normal.

I have been hatching for many years.
One thing I have noticed is that the late hatchers seem to want/need help.. usually they don't survive. there is a reason they are late, It has nothing to do with the temp or humidity settings.
don't be too upset if your late ones don't survive. if they do, they might be deformed in some way ..
and then there is always the exception..

Just a tad over 24 hrs.. Still coherent and a bit stronger. Sipping still but mobility challenged. Still we have our fingers crossed. We realize if the poor little dude survives, he may have a permanent handicap. At least he eyes are wide open. Yesterday they were barely open.
I won't give up.

On a lighter note. Today is day 23 since incubation start and a faint cheep and small peep still in the bator. Too weak to chip. I chipped off as much shell as possible and part of the outer membrane and placed it back so it could finish it's process. This has been a very eventful batch to say the least.
Goodness gracious...
The last peeper is now hopping around in the incubator! Rescue from the egg shell was a success.
It's a moulted java and they tend to grow big and strong pretty quick.. It's a good thing because he is a little runted. Yahoo!

I have been hatching for many years.
One thing I have noticed is that the late hatchers seem to want/need help.. usually they don't survive. there is a reason they are late, It has nothing to do with the temp or humidity settings.
don't be too upset if your late ones don't survive. if they do, they might be deformed in some way ..
and then there is always the exception..
He was one of the first and was early on day 20. I believe it was over crowding. I had to divide the batch in 2 brooders after I found him at the bottom of several other chicks laying on him. Before that he was a race horse. I now what you mean. We have rescued late Hatcher's before and they have had problems. Natural selection I suppose. Thank you for taking time to read my post and care enough to respond. Top of the morning to you..

Back
Top Bottom