Traveling Long Distance with a flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fluffyspots13, Mar 13, 2013.

1. fluffyspots13

fluffyspots13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2013
    My husband is on temporary retirement from the army. He was put on this last fall of 2012. After his surgeries, he may be found fit for duty (he was active duty for 8 years), and may go back into the ADM. We have chickens, rabbits, and are buying two goats. We had not discussed or even thought about if he were to go back into the army. Now, it may be an option. We would be stationed somewhere (closest base is KY and that's a 4 hour drive). My question is, how would we travel with our animals? Is it safe? Would the hens need to be in seperate cages or could we put them together in a 6'x8' trailer (appropriately altered to keep them warm/cool, or etc. And blocked from wind....what bedding could we use? We also planned on getting turkeys, should they be traveling in a different trailer? Our LT will be 6' w x 12'-16' long btw, but will have goats in one section., and possibly rabbits in the next, depends on what's in our truck bed....I guess my main questions are 1.) Should they travel together,loose in a section? 2.) If yes, how big a section for 21-25 chickens? 3.) If no, what size seperate crates/cages? 4.) What to use for bedding? (The trip could end up being a 20 hour drive, praying we will not be sent to germany or hawaii!)....5.) Can the chickens and turkeys be in the same trailer (fear of blackhead)? Thanks in advance...also not sure if this is the right section...sorry.

2. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Ft. Campbell is a nice area to live. My brother was stationed there a few years ago. You can put your chickens in a box trailer and transport them in the dark. This will minimize the stress of moving. Kind of like a hood on a falcon. I would separate the chickens and other fowl from each other. I mean in the same trailer but in separate carriers or crates. You can stack if needed this way. The crates need to have floor space big enough for them to sit.

3. scottyboy1975

scottyboy1975 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Roby, Missouri
    They will be fine. I put 4 hens in a small dog crate and moved them from fort hood to fort Leonard wood with no problems. They even got to ride in the cab of the truck with me. Loll. Wonder what the turnpike gate attendant thought when I paid him and there was clucking in the truck?

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    i took peafowl on a 12 hour ride in the back of a truck, they were fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by