Travelling with Chicks???

thismama

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012

We have 3 week old chicks (just 4) and want to go away for the weekend... Would bringing the chicks with us be too stressful for them? We would just load up their whole cage and all. Just a 2 hour drive. I'm curious to hear what y'all think. :)

We have 3 week old chicks (just 4) and want to go away for the weekend... Would bringing the chicks with us be too stressful for them? We would just load up their whole cage and all. Just a 2 hour drive. I'm curious to hear what y'all think.
smile.png

What are the temps in your area? How do you plan to keep them warm? I think it may be very stressful for them. I suppose they would be ok in your hotel? Don't let the maid in! Idk, your call I guess....

IWould spend the whole time wording they were out of water! Lol.
I know it was a rather silly question, but was curious if anyone had done it. I think I will just find a chick sitter!
1f609.png

Hi,
I have two week old chicks, 2 of them, and I was wondering about taking them to our cabin this weekend that is a 45 min ride in the car. It does have electricity so i would be keeping them at the right temp. And in the same brooder. Did you end up traveling with your chicks? If so, how did it go?

Hi,
I have two week old chicks, 2 of them, and I was wondering about taking them to our cabin this weekend that is a 45 min ride in the car. It does have electricity so i would be keeping them at the right temp. And in the same brooder. Did you end up traveling with your chicks? If so, how did it go?
You could take them, but riding in the car is rather stressful for them. Mine have ridden 45 minutes before from the breeder's back to my house so I think it would be fine. Just keep the car warm.

It's stressful for chicks to be transported, but if you have no alternative, a good way to do it is to mix their water with their feed, making a thick mush. This way there's no water to spill, and the chicks can continue to eat and get their water needs satisfied for the two hour trip.

If you don't have a reliable chick sitter, I would certainly take them along, as long as they have adequate space and heat during the duration.

It's stressful for chicks to be transported, but if you have no alternative, a good way to do it is to mix their water with their feed, making a thick mush. This way there's no water to spill, and the chicks can continue to eat and get their water needs satisfied for the two hour trip.

If you don't have a reliable chick sitter, I would certainly take them along, as long as they have adequate space and heat during the duration.

Ok, so I am not going to have to take them this time, my son is staying home so he can take care of them. HOWEVER, I'm now starting to get scared about any and all times i go out.of town for a few days. When they are older, they still will need someone to watch them, right? To refresh water and food. I'm starting to worry it is going to be so hard, because I do go out of town a couple of times a year for a week at a time. Do most people with chickens not travel??? What to do???? I'm embarrassed that I didn't think this through...I love these guys already!!

Back
Top Bottom