Prolapsed Penis Discussion

Pics
I've been reading up alot on the whole penis falling off vs shriveling up. It's alot of controversy for sure. It made me think though. Since alot of drake that end up with parts of their penises cut off and are still fertile, I wonder if as long as they have some of the penis left over that they are able to grow it back come the next mating season.
I did see that drakes can enlarge their penises and that one doctor found that mated pairs sex organ actually conformed to fit better together.

I've been reading up alot on the whole penis falling off vs shriveling up.
Getting smaller during non mating season I can see, but they don't fall off and regrow like some people have posted. If they did, I would find them all over my yard.
Since alot of drake that end up with parts of their penises cut off and are still fertile
A lot? :pop
I wonder if as long as they have some of the penis left over that they are able to grow it back come the next mating season.
I wonder this too.

Getting smaller during non mating season I can see, but they don't fall off and regrow like some people have posted. If they did, I would find them all over my yard.

A lot? :pop

I wonder this too.
I don't have any statistics on the rate of fertility for ducks getting their penises snipped, it's just my POV. If I find any I will post them. I suspect that it's hard to get statistics on that.
I find the whole falling off thing hard to believe too, unless they or other ducks are eating them.

I can guarantee you my drakes keep their penis year round :p
I see them often.
Now after a prolapse and snip. . I'm not saying it's impossible that maybe some of it grows back to a point. But if you think about how long they are to start with, and the way I understand it the sperm travels down the outside of it instead of coming from the inside, I'd guess you could still have fertility as long as there were part of it left regardless wether it re grew the snipped part.

I can guarantee you my drakes keep their penis year round :p
I see them often.
Now after a prolapse and snip. . I'm not saying it's impossible that maybe some of it grows back to a point. But if you think about how long they are to start with, and the way I understand it the sperm travels down the outside of it instead of coming from the inside, I'd guess you could still have fertility as long as there were part of it left regardless wether it re grew the snipped part.
There was a Study done by Dr. Patricia Brennan on how ducks penises shrivel up after mating season and how they grow larger once mating season begins. She found in some flocks that the alpha duck will grow his penis larger than the rest. She theorized that female ducks vaginas have evolved to create "dead ends" so that they wouldn't be fertilized by unwanted males. She believes that that's why male ducks evolved to start growing larger penises. So they could get in further to fertilize the eggs.
If the male ducks are able to "regrow" their penises every year, and some even grow larger, then why wouldn't they be able to grow larger once some has been snipped off?

http://www.pattybrennan.com/research

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/...d=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed&

Brennan, P.L.R., Gereg, I., Goodman, M. Feng, D. and Prum, R.O. 2017. Evidence of socially induced phenotypic plasticity of penis morphology and delayed reproductive maturation in waterfowl. The Auk. 134. DOI: 10.1642/AUK-17-114.1. *Press coverage.

Back
Top Bottom