Treating Candida (yeast) with Medistatin (Nystatin) - no ℞ needed

@casportpony so Fluconazole dossage- 10mg / per kilogram body (what is PO?) every 12 hours? Shall I dissolve in water before syringing it in her beak?
PO means by mouth. I haven't used fluconazole, so I'm not sure how well diluting it works. It apparently doesn't dissolve in water very well. If it floats or something, it could possibly be more difficult to give. I usually don't dilute unless the amount is so small that it's hard to manage.

If it comes in a capsule form you have the option of popping the pill directly into her beak or opening the capsule and dividing it into two doses. What I do to make getting the loose powder into the chicken easier is to mix each dose into a "pill" of coconut oil, chill until solid, then pop the "oil pill" into her beak.

Don't mix a med into water unless it's designed to be disolved in water or you will be dilluting the med and it won't work to its full potential.

FYI: if it could be helpful for anyone. Background- 1-year old hen with C. Glabrata in the stools (tested in a human lab). I treated with Nystatin 1000000 units twice per day, tablets in the beak. After one week a second lab test was done of the stools - showed no Candida. The second test was done in a different human lab (don't know if it matters).

A different case - the lab results (poops of a random chick) of a flock with 30 chicks (2 months old) just came out. Candida Albicans + Salmonella. I am treating the Salmonella now with Tetracycline (The test showed Susceptible).
I can't mix antibiotic and anti-yeast medicine (per vet) so for Candida Albicans I'll have to find another solution. We don't have neither Miconazole neither Copper sulfate, so would you recommend Nystatin (we have it in powder form for water) or Ronidazole (again powder on the water) Or Fluconazole (but this is more expensive) against Candida Albicans?

Last edited:
I’m also trying to find a dosage to treat an entire flock with nystatin suspension. I’d like to add it to the water. Any info on the dosage per gallon?

You can sprinkle it over their food.

If you wish to treat a whole flock for sour crop, or as a preventative, I suggest using copper sulfate to treat their water. It would be much more cost effective and easier to administer and just as effective.

Back
Top Bottom