Treating frostbite

Her comb appears to be infected, despite Vetrycin.
Will a shot of Penicillin G help with that? She is going to be getting Pen G for the egg binding, anyway.

I'm not positive she has an infection from the egg binding, the Pen G is just in case. Her coop was dirty, she won't eat, barely drinks, and of course has the infected comb. So with all that, I'm concerned that she is more susceptible to infection from the egg binding.
@Cyprus has she not laid an egg since the soft shelled one?
Is she pooping at all?
What's the comb look like now?

Have you felt to see if there is another egg in there? I'm sorry that she is not doing well.
Did you start the PenG or just have it on hand? Do you have any other antibiotics available to you?
Sorry for all the questions. The PenG will probably work o.k. but if she's like my Leghorn, she's a tiny little thing, so injections would need to be given in different locations for sure, alternate the breast everyday.
I know Kathy was talking to you about tubing fluids into her, is that something you would consider doing?

@Cyprus has she not laid an egg since the soft shelled one?
Is she pooping at all?
What's the comb look like now?

Have you felt to see if there is another egg in there? I'm sorry that she is not doing well.
Did you start the PenG or just have it on hand? Do you have any other antibiotics available to you?
Sorry for all the questions. The PenG will probably work o.k. but if she's like my Leghorn, she's a tiny little thing, so injections would need to be given in different locations for sure, alternate the breast everyday.
I know Kathy was talking to you about tubing fluids into her, is that something you would consider doing?
She has not laid an egg yet.
She is pooping.
I'll get a pic of her comb in a bit.

I have not started the PenG. I just got home from buying it. I have no other injectable antibiotics on hand.

If I absolutely had to, I might tube her. But, tbh, she isn't going to stand for that and we're trying to downsize anyway so :idunno Of course, I'm not going to be cruel and let her waste away. If she doesn't figure things out, we'll euthanize.

She is pooping.

I have not started the PenG. I just got home from buying it. I have no other injectable antibiotics on hand.

If I absolutely had to, I might tube her. But, tbh, she isn't going to stand for that and we're trying to downsize anyway so :idunno Of course, I'm not going to be cruel and let her waste away. If she doesn't figure things out, we'll euthanize.
I understand and know you are not going to let her waste away.
At this point, the way I see it, you have nothing to lose so I would go ahead and try the PenG to see if she improves. Do what you can to get her hydrated. Direct dose some poultry vitamins if you can or mix them in a little yogurt or whatever she will eat. Bits of egg, beef liver, wet feed - whatever.
Then if she continues to decline, put her down.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts as well.

She is pooping.

If shes pooping but not laying id think she has an oviduct infection. Definately give antibiotics but i do agree with @Wyorp Rock that if there is no improvement to end her pain. It is unfortunate but sometimes there really is nothing you can do.

Okay, I just gave her .6cc of suspended injectable PenG.
Instructions read to let warm to room temp before using. Do I need to refridgerate the the rest of the bottle now, or is it left at room temp?

Back
Top Bottom