Treating Tapeworms - Under Construction

So far I've only found large roundworms and cecal worms in mine. Got a great picture of some cecal worms if anyone is interested. :D

Many years ago I sent a few hens down the road to a neighbor's farm. One mile away, but clay soil, and a pond the birds could reach, and peafowl. A few weeks later, one of my former hens was dead, and another was ill. The peafowl started dying too.
Finally I was able to necropsy one of the dead peafowl, and it was all about the gapeworms, and heterakis, and incidentally roundworms. Regular applications of Ivermectin then happened there, and all deaths ceased. It was really sad, but that environment was a problem, and dealing with it sooner would have saved lives.
Mary

Assume that a big fat EE weighs about 6 pounds and the try to guess what your hen weighs.

Have you decided which product you want to use?

OMG! you reply to me!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I haven't decide because I am not sure what is best and easier to apply, I am guessing Equimax horse paste? or Zimectrin? looks like with the iverment include it will kill more worms and I think they have more than just tape. I was afraid of guessing the dose for chickens and it is hard to find info about Praziquantel for chickens, this is why I was so happy to find your reply!! I am open to do whatever you recommend me. Also, I gave them Wazine approximately 40 days ago, it that ok to treat them with something else so soon after?
witch one will you used? and how much should I give them, they are a year old on the light weight size? how to apply? 2nd dose after 10 days? egg withdraw? the hard part is going to be to give it to my mean roo... LOL

Thank you sooooooooooo much!

OMG! you reply to me!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Of course I reply to you! :hugs
I haven't decide because I am not sure what is best and easier to apply, I am guessing Equimax horse paste?
The Equimax will probably be the cheapest and easiest to do.

I haven't decide because I am not sure what is best and easier to apply, I am guessing Equimax horse paste? or Zimectrin?
One tube of Equimax will treat twice as many hens as Zimectrin Gold because it has twice as much praziquantel.

looks like with the iverment include it will kill more worms and I think they have more than just tape.
Yeah, it might treat large roundworms and maybe cecal worms too.

I was afraid of guessing the dose for chickens and it is hard to find info about Praziquantel for chickens, this is why I was so happy to find your reply!!
plumb's_6_praziquantel.png

I am open to do whatever you recommend me.
If I were going to treat a few of mine for tapes I would use the Equimax.

lso, I gave them Wazine approximately 40 days ago, it that ok to treat them with something else so soon after?
No need to worry, you can treat them now.

witch one will you used?
Equimax paste.

nd how much should I give them, they are a year old on the light weight size?
Can you get a kitchen scale and weigh a couple?

how to apply?
Orally with a one ml syringe.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
2nd dose after 10 days?
Yes.
egg withdraw?
That's a good question and one I don't have an answer to. There are some vets that say the withdrawal when using any amount of ivermectin is 8 weeks. Not sure if I have seen a vet reommend withdrawal for praziquantel.
the hard part is going to be to give it to my mean roo... LOL
You can do it!

I have only 4 hens and a rooster.

I am going to oder right now the Equimax then!!

So, what I am stuck on is the dose, I read some people saying just a pea size to each hen but to make sure I am doing it right, I am trying to do the conversion and I am getting confused because my results are like 0.02 ml = almost nothing! Look: 10 mg/kg if she is 2kg (4.4Lb) I will have to give her around 20mg of that paste with a syringe(ml) because of the density of the paste it will be less than 0.02ml...? That is like nothing! OMG I don't want to kill them with to much or do nothing with to little, after all.

This is the one I was thinking to getting, is this the right one? and if my hens are 5Lb how much should I give them?

https://www.amazon.com/Pfizer-0017-...74&sr=1-1&keywords=equimax+paste+horse+wormer

Also, in a different note. I would like to know your opinion on Waxine (for Round worms) I gave it to my hens before but there is so much controversy about the egg withdraw for ever etc. and I would love to know your personal opinion.

Thank you again!

Piperazine was approved for laying hens, but isn't any longer. It will kill some roundworms, but that's all it does. Fenbendazole is a much better choice if worming is needed, except for those tapeworm species it doesn't kill. Trying to dose down from an equine paste wormer is so tricky! I think it makes much more sense to get the liquid form, made for dogs and cats, and figure out the correct amount for your birds. It's available at farm stores, and your veterinarian might sell some too.
Mary

The density of paste is similar to water, so you can treat the paste as you would water.

Equimax is 140.3 mg per ml praziquantel and 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin.
The chicken praziquantel dose is 10 mg/kg.

Imagine the tube below is Equimax (sorry, only tube I had wa just plain ivermectin)
From left to right:
Small = 0.1 ml = 1.87 mg ivermectin & 14.3 mg praziquantel
Medium = 0.25 ml = 4.675 mg ivermectin & 35.075 mg praziquantel
Large = 0.5 ml = 9.35 mg ivermectin & 70.15 mg praziquantel

The blob next to the grain of rice is 0.025ml = 0.4675 mg ivermectin & 3.5 mg praziquantel

Back
Top Bottom