Treating upper respiratory infections

2 of my bantys have fowl breath sneezing runny nose and one has just started getting puffy goopy eyes. Is this respitory or sour crop?

I have a sick rooster.
I plan to give him five days of Tylan-50 and give the entire flock some electrolyte or a liquid antibiotic in their water.
What is a good liquid antibiotic for the water?

I have a sick rooster.
I plan to give him five days of Tylan-50 and give the entire flock some electrolyte or a liquid antibiotic in their water.
What is a good liquid antibiotic for the water?
I would use Tylan. I had a few birds that had snotty noses a few months ago, so I treated my entire flock with Tylan for 5 full days. All responded well to the treatment, and haven't had any more illness(es) since then. Just be sure to follow up treatment with probiotics. Antibiotics also kill beneficial gut bacteria...
wink.png

I know this is an old thread. How did your outcome turn out? I bought a rooster to add to my flock. And now my chickens are coming down with this! I have started them on antibiotics and some are too puny to eat so I am making them drink the antibiotic water with a pipette. Did it work for you??

I know this is an old thread. How did your outcome turn out? I bought a rooster to add to my flock. And now my chickens are coming down with this! I have started them on antibiotics and some are too puny to eat so I am making them drink the antibiotic water with a pipette. Did it work for you??
It cured my birds. If your birds are getting to the point where they can't eat, you may want to check with a veterinarian to find out exactly what's wrong with them. It may be a combination of things, or something the antibiotic you're using isn't effective against.

Tylan 50 is tylosin 50 mg/ml - injectable
Tylan 200 is tylosin 200 mg/ml - injectable
Tylan Soluble Powder is tylosin 100 mg/gram - powder
Tylan 100 is tylosin 100 mg per pound - Type A medicated feed.
Tylan 10 is tylosin 10,000 mg per pound - Type B medicated feed.

Injectable cannot be mixed in water.
Some people give the injectable orally, but whether given by injection, or orally, it must be given at least twice a day.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Tylan 50 is tylosin 50 mg/ml - injectable
Tylan 200 is tylosin 200 mg/ml - injectable
Tylan Soluble Powder is tylosin 100 mg/gram - powder
Tylan 100 is tylosin 100 mg per pound - Type A medicated feed.

Injectable cannot be mixed in water.
Some people give the injectable orally, but whether given by injection, or orally, it must be given at least twice a day.

-Kathy
Thank you for cleaning up after me, Kathy. At least I got the soluble powder part right...
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom