Treatments Not Working- Stumped

Jchickie

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2023
Hello!
I have a buff orpington who is presenting with drooping wings and tail, fatigue, weakness while walking, loss of appetite and thirst, and occasional panting. She has no egg stuck inside her. She has no mucus or eye discharge. She isn't coughing or sneezing. She doesn't have sour crop. She doesn't have bumblefoot. One strange symptom I noticed is that she makes these different vocalizations than normal if I pick her up, like she's upset or in pain. There is nothing apparently wrong with her physically: no visible injuries, no pasty butt. We have palpated her whole body and have felt nothing off. Her poop is otherwise normal, when she eats (which she only does if the food is soft). She has no mites or lice.
We have given her tylosin, corrid, and fenbendazole, and nothing is working. We have been feeding her bread soaked in electrolytes and probiotics, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
There is no poultry vet near us, and we've had disappointing results in the past with the vet we've had. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with her?
Edit: here's a photo of her in her current state. She has always had a floppy comb.
20230612_221916.jpg

Last edited:
No, she has completely stopped. I don't know for how long, though, because I was gone for a month while someone else watched the chickens. When I came back I noticed she was sort of crouch-walking across the yard with her wings drooping and she was kind of growl-bocking. I thought maybe she was egg bound, but I don't feel an egg at all, and she is able to poop. I found a couple eggs among those gathered that had unusual, slightly rippled/rough shells, but I don't know if they are hers because I have other brown egg layers as well.

You could try giving her the calcium + D + K tablets that humans use for osteoarthritis. They can help with abnormal egg laying issues. You could also give her a nice soak in an epsom salt bath and see if it helps her demeanour?

You could try giving her the calcium + D + K tablets that humans use for osteoarthritis. They can help with abnormal egg laying issues. You could also give her a nice soak in an epsom salt bath and see if it helps her demeanour?
Thank you for the advice! What dosage of calcium + d3 is appropriate? I don't want to poison her

Back
Top Bottom