treats and grit

mcdaid36

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Putnam County, NY
I understand that when you start giving treats to you have to start giving grit, but is the grit only to break up hard objects, or for something else? If I start with giving them "runny"treats, like applesauce or yogurt, do I still have to give grit? Thanks a bunch!

Chickens don't have teeth, and they store little rocks(grit) in their "crop", which is where food goes before it enters their stomach. The rocks allow them to break down their food. I'm new to the whole chicken business, but I would give them grit anytime you give them treats.

That much I do understand, but there is really nothing to "break down" with yogurt. You wouldn't chew it. So that's my confusion. But maybe I should give the grit just to be safe.

I haven't started giving treats yet, however from what I understand there is grit in the chick feed
hu.gif
I was under the impression grit grinds up the food in the crop so I get what you're saying with "soft" food. My 14 are just over a week old I took them off papertowels yesterday and gave some crumbled bread w/ olive oil because I was paranoid with them eating the shavings. They seem fine and aren't chowing down on the bedding anymore.

Grit is necessary once they are outside or having greens, grains and such. The yogurt and applesauce I would not worry about it.
smile.png

The first treat I ever gave my chicks was yogurt mixed with their chick starter. The chick starter already has what they need including grit and the yogurt is just a little something extra. I'm not sure my chicks would go for the straight "runny" stuff without something with more texture mixed in. They wipe their little beaks like mad as it is with the mix.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom