Treats for Chicks

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
I was wondering what special treats everyone gives to their chicks. I have been crushing mealworms into their crumb to give them extra protein. Also I crush up tinned sweetcorn and boiled peas and put it in a seperate dish, in a matter of hours it is all gone and the chickies are all happy and full. Any other ideas for a fun treat?

All my poultry -- chicks, ducklings, goslings -- LOVE bits of grapes. My grown-up chickens (and sometimes the not-so-good-with-stair-steps ducks) will run up the deck stairs when the back door opens to see if the grape-dispenser lady is coming with treats.

How old are your chicks? If they are getting chick crumble, that is enough protein for them.

Giving too much protein to a growing/young chicken can cause problems, but a few crumbled mealworms shouldn’t be a problem. Just to note a turkey poult feed is higher in protein than chicken chick feed, bc the turkeys need higher protein. Likewise, gamebird/quail chick feed is even higher than turkey poult feed bc the baby game birds need it.

since feed consumption in a chick is low, try to not overdue the treats bc they will fill up on unbalanced food rather than formulated feed with the right nutrients.

Giving wet feed is much loved here. I mix up the pellet or crumble with water to a batter consistency. Then sprinkle the treat on top. Small seeds, scrambled eggs, chopped herbs, small fruit chunks, chopped cabbage. This way the chicks are getting proper nutrition with a treat. Remember, they need grit available to them if they get food that is not crumble or pellets. The grit helps them “chew” the food in the gizzard.

If I want to see a chase, I take mushy blueberries, or cut grapes and toss into the run a few at a time. One gets the morsel, others chase. Repeat until all have enjoyed the treat and chase.

When I first got my chicks, I sooo wanted to give them treats, but was advised against it until they were at least 2 weeks old. And all I read was how much fun it was to watch them eat/chase treats...

Their food, wetted into a mash filled that void perfectly! I put it in my palm, and they ate it like it was candy. It felt like getting tapped with half a dozen dull pencils.

Fun for them, fun for me.

I dont give many treats and the only.time I do is when we are having extreme weather. On our super hit summer days they get some frozen berries and veggies to help them cool down. On our snowy cold days they get a wet mash made with warm water. Other than that they get their all flock, oyster shells, and whatever bugs they find.

My chicks are 4 weeks old and have access to chick crumb 24\7, only a few mealworms are crushed in since I don't want to over-do it. I like to give extra protein, especially for my tiny, underweight chick (don't worry about her too much, she's getting stronger and is tougher than she looks). I like them to get used to other food so they will be prepared for life outside when they get table scraps like rice and veggies

My chicks are 4 weeks old and I’ve been giving them some plain Greek yogurt as a treat. I have been smearing it on the bottom of a cereal bowl and placing it in the brooder. They were unsure at first but they love it now! And the probiotics are a good bonus 😊

My chicks are 4 weeks old and have access to chick crumb 24\7, only a few mealworms are crushed in since I don't want to over-do it. I like to give extra protein, especially for my tiny, underweight chick (don't worry about her too much, she's getting stronger and is tougher than she looks). I like them to get used to other food so they will be prepared for life outside when they get table scraps like rice and veggies
are you giving them grit? if they get anything other than chick food they need grit in order to be able to break it down.

Back
Top Bottom