"Treats" that your birds don't like

Pics
Sardines packed in sunflower oil. Raw (or cooked, but they seem to like raw better) hamburger. Hard boiled eggs, especially the yolk and you can apply a drop of liquid chicken vitamins to this easily, the yolk will absorb it readily. Watermelon, seeds and all. Cantaloupe, seeds and all. Cooked squash, seeds and all. Some of my flocks have enjoyed cucumber, seeds and all, while others have absolutely no interest in them. Tomatoes... I cut a small hole into the side then let them have at it. My girls go bananas for ripe (and overripe) BANANAS.

Treats my birds do NOT like? Dried Mealworms. I can't figure this one out. Everyone else's birds seem to love dried mealworms. Mine take a peck at them and turn their beaks up. My australorp, Thyme, also does not like shelled sunflower seeds. SUNFLOWER SEEDS! What chicken in their right mind does not love sunflower seeds? Especially when its just the delicious seed, with no pesky shell to get in the way of that pure seed flavor. :rolleyes:
Dont feel alone!:hugs

My girls dont like dried meat worms either. Waste of 7 bucks if I've ever seen one....:idunno

My girl just love blueberries. Second is cherry tomatoes and grapes. Any kind of edible greens and of course meal worms. I have picked crickets a few times. Sprinkle them slowly and it’s fun to watch.

Mine used to ignore fruit but now that they are older they go crazy for apple, so sometimes it takes awhile for them to get a taste for things. Cheese is a favourite and great for bribery. Cherry tomatoes are a much loved treat as well. My go-to though is hulled sunflower seeds. Everyone loves those.

Interestingly mine hate bread and won't touch it.

I have two bearded dragons, so I have two giant bins containing dubia roach colonies. I decided one day to see if they wanted some giant bugs....they love them. They aren't all that brave to start with, but the barred rock will grab anything I offer so they just chase her around and try to steal it from her. LOL. Eventually they will all take them from my hand and it's interesting to see the differences in personality on how they grab them. One hits it like it wants to take my hand with it, one does a lighting grab and run, the barred rock takes them what I would say is medium peck LOL, and one is very dainty and takes them fairly gently.

Otherwise tomatoes and blueberries seem to be favorites. They will not eat cucumbers though.

My 16 chickens love Watermelon, Mealworms, Canned or on the cob corn, Wild bird suet cakes, Grapes, Frozen Yogurt (Not like ice cream, like putting yogurt in the freezer) Normal yogurt, And sometimes as a small treat we give them 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream! My red cochin bantams LOVE vanilla ice cream! My chickens only hate cabbage and most of my chickens don't like bananas, other than those, they eat anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom