Treats

brickmom68

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2022
my neighbor and I have many fruit trees to include persimmons, pears, peaches, figs. Is it safe to feed these things to my chickens when they fall to the ground?
What about things like kitchen scraps from celery, onions, potatoes etc??
Is there a list of common things that are absolute no-no’s for my birds?

my neighbor and I have many fruit trees to include persimmons, pears, peaches, figs. Is it safe to feed these things to my chickens when they fall to the ground?
What about things like kitchen scraps from celery, onions, potatoes etc??
Is there a list of common things that are absolute no-no’s for my birds?
You can feed them all the fallen fruit from your trees. Same with kitchen scraps.
I used to be all paranoid about what my chickens were eating, but now I watched a YouTube video about a chickens diet and what ever. Anyway, the person who was doing the video brought up a point. A chicken will naturally know what it can eat and k is what it can't. So, just throw everything out to them then you can see what they don't like. Then just take it out of their diet. 🙂

I don't put much faith in some magical ability to know what is safe to eat. Among other reasons: veterinary manuals cover poisoning including poisoning by what poultry have eaten.

At the same time, lists of "poisonous plants" aren't usually helpful because they don't usually cover whether all parts of the plant are poisonous or how poisonous it might be, and so on.

I don't feed onion, avocado, citrus, or raw mature beans or peas. Or salty or fatty scraps. I don't worry about anything else that goes through my kitchen. Edit to add: partly because I have read enough lists of poisonous or safe foods to decide any risk there might be of foods I eat is low

Plants outside: I look up before picking handfuls to feed them. I would be less concerned if they free ranged and so had lots of options (poisonous plants often don't taste very good; it usually takes quite a bit to be dangerous.)

Back
Top Bottom