Trim Butt or deworm?

Aug 2, 2017
Maryland
I have a flock of 9 hens. Most born last April, and 2 3yo Orp hens. About a month ago, I saw some poop accumulating on my 2 SLW hens. Thought it may be from compost pile/ veggie scraps. And the younger birds are all getting pin feathers on their butts. No biggie. Then it is still there, so I put food grade DE on their food. Today I notice that there is runny poop in the run and a few other birds are getting some light poop trails on their butts fluff. Is is just wash/trim time or treat for worms?

Neither BO or WO have any problems, just the ones born last April. And still only the SLW have a build up and for sure diarrhea. Help, oh wise chicken people!

This is Velico, the worst one in the flock.
IMG_20180225_141508.jpg

IMG_20180225_141528.jpg

This one is Raptor, the other SLW, but not as bad. The rest are less than this.
IMG_20180225_141445.jpg

MVIMG_20180225_141420.jpg

Also helps to say I bought them as pullets, so they were not hand raised. They tolerate being caught with alot of stress. So I wasn't trying to wash (and blow dry, it's cold and damp right now) if it was more detrimental to them. Thus why I have not trimmed feathers yet. I have only had to pick up 2 in the last year for health checks. They have a big run and coop and get to free range 3 acres everyday, so it could be environmental causes. They are fed flock raiser crumbles and maybe 1/2 cup of scratch grains if I need to get them in the coop earlier than sundown.

Try adding some ACV undiluted/with Mother to their water (1T/gal)

I had 5 Blue Wyandottes, they sure had messy butt feathers that I trimmed but kept getting messy. So trimming may not be the answer. I now have 4 BO who's butt feather get messy but not as bad as the BW I had. I've thought of cleaning but they seem to be grooming/dust bathing better so I've left them.

The first one looks "worst" you could leave it or catch it & using gloves see if you can just crush the dry mess off. Are their eggs "messy"?

Try adding some ACV undiluted/with Mother to their water (1T/gal)

I had 5 Blue Wyandottes, they sure had messy butt feathers that I trimmed but kept getting messy. So trimming may not be the answer. I now have 4 BO who's butt feather get messy but not as bad as the BW I had. I've thought of cleaning but they seem to be grooming/dust bathing better so I've left them.

The first one looks "worst" you could leave it or catch it & using gloves see if you can just crush the dry mess off. Are their eggs "messy"?
A few smears, but that's it really. Out of 9 birds I. Getting 6-8/day and maybe 1 will need a wipe off.

Back
Top Bottom