Trimming Muscovy claws

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
It is that time again to trim the claws of my Muscovy ducks. The 8 females aren't too difficult and their claws seem to grow much more slowly. The 2 drakes have overly long claws (my fault for procrastinating). Large birds with powerful wings. After getting wracked a time or two, I am running out of "volunteers" to help. I do try to get this done very early morning or evening when they are settled into their coop. By the time the first ones are done, the rest are on high alert.

I saw a picture of this bag thing used to transport peacocks. Basically the head and neck stick out a hole and the body is fairly snuggly wrapped. Anybody tried something like this? Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Maybe wrapping a towel around them? I've actually never trimmed mine. But, they have had access to a cement pad in front of our building when they were free ranging. I will keep an eye on them to see if they have more growth since they have been penned for the last 2 months.

It is that time again to trim the claws of my Muscovy ducks. The 8 females aren't too difficult and their claws seem to grow much more slowly. The 2 drakes have overly long claws (my fault for procrastinating). Large birds with powerful wings. After getting wracked a time or two, I am running out of "volunteers" to help. I do try to get this done very early morning or evening when they are settled into their coop. By the time the first ones are done, the rest are on high alert.

I saw a picture of this bag thing used to transport peacocks. Basically the head and neck stick out a hole and the body is fairly snuggly wrapped. Anybody tried something like this? Any other suggestions would be welcomed.
I trimmed my female Muscovys when I first got her because she was injured and I had to handle her a lot. Got sliced up good a couple times.

I basically just burritoed her in a towel and let her little feet stick out. Then sat down with her in my lap and clipped one nail at a time. I kept her head covered with her bill sticking out.

Also side note, it's a good idea to have styptic powder or quick stop on hand just in case you cut too far. Hope this helps! ❤️

I trimmed my female Muscovys when I first got her because she was injured and I had to handle her a lot. Got sliced up good a couple times.

I basically just burritoed her in a towel and let her little feet stick out. Then sat down with her in my lap and clipped one nail at a time. I kept her head covered with her bill sticking out.

Also side note, it's a good idea to have styptic powder or quick stop on hand just in case you cut too far. Hope this helps! ❤️
How often do you trim the claws and what do you use? I have 4 Muscovy, 3 hen 1 drake, that are about 5 months

How often do you trim the claws and what do you use? I have 4 Muscovy, 3 hen 1 drake, that are about 5 months
My Muscovy is outside with the rest of the flock, so I no longer have to regularly clip her nails (they wear naturally). I was clipping them when she was inside because I had to handle her a lot and she used to slice up my arms and hands bad.

As long as your flock has somewhere outside to wear down their nails, you won't have to worry to much about clipping them.

My Muscovy is outside with the rest of the flock, so I no longer have to regularly clip her nails (they wear naturally). I was clipping them when she was inside because I had to handle her a lot and she used to slice up my arms and hands bad.

As long as your flock has somewhere outside to wear down their nails, you won't have to worry to much about clipping them.
We do keep them outside but there’s not many hard surfaces that would wear them down

Back
Top Bottom