Trimming rooster spurs

salathiel

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 2, 2007
My 3- year old Buff Orp rooster's spurs have grown so long he is having trouble walking...plus I'm concerned that he could damage the hens. The book says you can coat the spur in oil and twist off the old covering to expose the new spur. It also mentions the alternative of simply clipping the end off each spur and filing it smooth...but cautions against trimming off "too much" and causing bleeding. How much is "too much"? Anyone out there have experience with spur trimming?

My grandfather raises chickens and he doesnt dote on them like most of us do, so his approach is not the gentlest, but it gets the job done efficiently. He cant have a roo scarring up his hens. He simply snips the whole spur off, close to the leg as possible, with a wire cutter and then stops any bleeding with QuikStop or flour or corn starch. They usually only bleed a second or two and they take far longer to grow back then just trimming them. Hes a commercial breeder/raiser (breeds commercial meat birds) though, so he often has many roos to do, so he cant waste time sittin around. I've been there to watch him do it and help hold the birds, who surprisingly dont seem to mind it all that much.

Buy you a small hacksaw. With a rock, small hammer, etc. tap the end of the spur several times, if they are sharp, tap until you see the end blunting. This will minimize the bleeding, sometimes keeping them from bleeding at all. With the saw, saw off the spur about 1/4 inch from the birds leg. Be sure you have your bird held securely when sawing spurs, some freak when you start sawing, of course if someone was holding me down and trimming my nails with a saw, I might freak out too...LOL

(Be sure to clean your saw before and after use with bleach water or alcohol to keep from transfering any germs)

Last edited:
I've done the pliers method and it was fine...The power tool afficianados use a Dremel tool because it also cauterizes the end of the spur. I used a nail clipper to take the sharp tip off, but that was all I took off of the new spur.

Do all roosters have spurs. I posted pictures of my new BB Red OEGB here and he does not have any. Just two little nubs where I think they should be. Will they grow back? Did someone cut them off? Thanks..

Marie

I was told he is an adult. Here is a picture, you can see what I mean in the picture.

Digital122.jpg

Marie

Back
Top Bottom