triple antibiotic or Blue kote?

well we are less concerned about the egg situation, no plans to eat her.
how LONG after one uses blu Kote can you eat the eggs?
the hen has stopped laying anyway given how seriously hurt she was. She is a 7-8 month old pullet. We are not concerned about being able to eat her eggs if she were to lay them, she is on oral antibiotics anyway - so no plans to eat her eggs IF she were to lay them.

WOW !! Missprissy, I am glad I read that. I had no idea. Does it absorb thru the skin??

Quote:
you mean EVER, or just while you're actually using blu-kote?

EDIT: Thanks for the advice. Didn't know that.

Last edited:
Hi Miss Prissy
I did some searching on the web, can you direct me to this information?
Blu Kote is OFTEN recomended on this board and I have not seen this caution before.
I looked on the lable I have for my Blu-Kote and there is no warning about using it on food producing animals. All it mentions is to "wash udders before milking"
hmm.png

anyway, thanks so much - I wrote Dr. Naylor company (makes blu Kote) and asked them about the safety on using for a egg laying Hen
thanks so much!

Last edited:
That's the first I've heard of that MP. Do you know why you can't eat the eggs or meat? I had a turkey sprayed quite heavily with blue kote a few years back for torn saddle from a tom and we still ate her eggs with no ill effects. I don't recall seeing any precautionary statements on the bottle either, but would have to check again to be sure. I am usually very cautious about giving my birds anything that reminds me of chemicals, as I just don't like chemicals at all (in me or my birds).

Jody

It says on my bottle that animals treated with it should not be used for food.

I found this on drugs.com

Warning(s)
Not for use on food producing animals.

Any animal I use blu-Kote on is taken out of the food cycle.​

Back
Top Bottom