BarneyNCyndi

Songster
9 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Everett, wa
IMG_2784.JPG
Meet Trouble, she will be 4 years old this July. Last night, my husband & I heard a weird bark. We look at our dog and she gave us the "It's not me look." None of the 4 chickens pointed fingers but while doing the little things we do outside. My husband noticed that the sound came from Trouble. Armed with iPhone, he video taped the sound for me to see. Both of us began to search the web. We thought was something caught in her throat? Being a nurse (it doesn't help with chickens), I thought we should keep her away from everyone else. It seem by all the descriptions and videos that I could find in the 5-10 minutes of panic that she has a respiratory infection. Great! we haven't had one of those before - I was up half the night (with worry) listening to her cough. Last night, we brought her inside - bough a warm vaporizer and got vapors. She has very red waddles and comb they were very warm last night. I thought a fever to keep her warm and turned the heater to 70. She sounded very congested. We checked number 2 her best pal (lucky) and she has no signs of illness. The plan was first this morning to go to the farm store and get some antibiotics. I thought gee, I could give a shot or get her to take some liquid. I am determined.

Guess what I found out. We are no longer allowed to buy animal antibiotics over the counter. My first question was "says who?" I was told this is a new from the FDA. Is this true? I am in Washington State and it was 7am in the morning plus my having only 2-3hours sleep. I am an expert worrier and do so when any of our chickie-girls are sick.

I was a little nervous at the thought but Trouble isn't a laying hen anymore. She is just boss chicken. I bought the VetRx - looked at it and said great - chicken vapor rub. No directions on how do you administer this stuff. So, back to doing online research. I put some on each nare. Some syringe fed her some in warm water. Is this enough? She wasn't happy with me at all. She really stressed out when I was trying to give her water with electrolyte (baby booster). She has eaten some of her breakfast. (Egg with polenta and a few crumbles sprinkled on top.) I can't tell if she drinking on her own. I have also added a couple of drops of oregano oil.

I know poop is important so - I got this fresh image and I don't see at issues. Do you?
IMG_2785.JPG
So, I am just asking in case anyone lives in Canada. Are they allowed to buy their animal antibiotics without a vet prescription?

PS. I won't put her down unless she is in distress. Right now she is sleeping while standing.

Last edited:
Yes it is true. FDA requires a prescription now. There are still some meds available on line, livestock sites. Also fish meds are still available. However, you need to know what you are treating for to make sure you use the right medication. Many respiratory infections are caused by virus's and antibiotics will do nothing for the virus. Antibiotics will take care of secondary or bacterial infections. Injudicious use of antibiotics in food producing animals is why the FDA made them harder to get.
I don't think the poo looks normal, unless she has been drinking a lot of water.
There are a lot of possibilities for what is wrong. If she has something going on inside, that could weaken her immune system and allow other infections to take hold.

I found this info below for you to read.
I do not think her poo looks normal either.
Has she ever been treated for worms?

Only certain antibiotics in certain forms require prescriptions. The cynical part of me would point out that it is the cheapest forms that are removed from the market, leaving their more expensive forms still on the shelves.

An example for respiratory infections is Tylan (Tylosin). It is still readily available at TSC in the injectable form, but the powder you add to water is no longer available (without a script). You could give injections, supposedly that is a more effective treatment anyway, or just give them 2x the dose orally.

Go search the TSC site for "oxytetracycline". There is still plenty of it available, just not the cheap $8 powder.

No - none of the girls have ever been treated for worms. I just found out that Tractor Supply has the injectable 50mg per ml. Would I be giving it intermuscular or subcutaneous? If so what mg amount? Are you suggesting get the injectable version and give it by mouth?

Also, would the Tylan treat the worms too?

No - none of the girls have ever been treated for worms. I just found out that Tractor Supply has the injectable 50mg per ml. Would I be giving it intermuscular or subcutaneous? If so what mg amount? Are you suggesting get the injectable version and give it by mouth?

Also, would the Tylan treat the worms too?
I asked about the worms because I recently read about coughing caused by worms.
BRB again..I will find the article for you.

At tractor supply got wazine17. Got tylan 50=50mg/ml. Strike3 poultry pellets not sure why it was in the same row. 3ml syringes. Smallest ones available and 22g needles smallest. One king size pkg of Reese. I need a reward. Now, what do I do? - I am heading for my 40 min drive home.

Back
Top Bottom