True Ameraucana?

KensingtonHens

Songster
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
SoCal
Can someone take a look at my bird, the one on the right, and tell me if it is a true Ameracuana? I was told she was and that she was ten months old. She hasn't laid eggs yet, but we needed a little older bird to keep the little Red Star company.
72917_bothhens.jpg

She is an Easter Egger. All the hatcheries say they have true Ameraucanas (except MyPetChicken admits theirs are EEs) but they do not and buyers don't know the difference so they think they have Ameraucanas.

Nope. She's an Easter Egger.

The thing to do is always look over at the Ameraucana Breeders Club colors -

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Then ask yourself, does she have any of those colors? - No

Does she have slate colored legs? - No

Those are two big factors that tell if one is an Easter Egger or not.

She's a total cutie pie though.
smile.png

EEs are tons of fun. In some ways they are more fun than Ameraucanas. With an EE hatch there is a wild card aspect and you just never know what you will get.
smile.png

Thank you so much...I did pay $20.00 for her but I think she's really pretty and sweet. But, right her legs are green...but they're pretty!
Now, what about not laying? We thought we'd just give her until spring or summer. We can always get another hen. We are so new to this that anything is a learning experience. I will post in the correct thread also.

Thanks in advance..

well if you just got her them give her some time I got a trio of SPPR bantams 2 weeks ago and they have not layed yet
but she looks like she will soon!
good luck!
punky

Last edited:
I have found that my EEs and AMs all start laying later, but they end up being more consistant layers in the end. My EEs and AMs are all still laying right now while most of the other girls have stopped for the winter. I have heard that the later they start the bigger the eggs end up being. I don't know if that is true, but the practical application around here would indicate that it is.

Generally they will start laying a day after you go to the store and stock up on eggs.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom