True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
one of mine

One of my roosters looks identical to that! His comb was like that too until around week 16 or so, then it grew a bunch and flopped over.

[/IMG][/IMG]
These are my 9 week old whitings. I am thinking only one rooster but not sure yet. Some of my Whiting are really large.

The green egg layer is a cross of the blue x brown egg layer.
The amount of chickens they sell, that's not accidental. That's a deliberate cross that is being advertised falsely,if all the accounts are correct

Update! All of my hens are laying now and 6 of them lay pretty blue eggs! Whew! I have my suspicions on who's laying the cream and green eggs and they are being removed from the flock today. I'm still going to squak to Murray McMurray until they do something other than tell me to wait. Happy that most of them are good though!

That's the same thing that happened to mine! I bet the other one ends up flopping too. I had 8 roosters to begin with and all of them got "The Flop"! So I kept the two best looking Roos and got rid of the others.
I know floppy combs are not a good feature as far as showing goes, but is there a real issue with them, other than cosmetic? The comb looks like it's blocking must of the vision from the left eye. I suppose a loss is vision isn't the best thing (unless I'm trying to catch them)
1f60b.png

The only thing that concerns me is how closely they believe the blue egg gene and pea combs are. I will be keeping the most uniform comb also
There is no direct linkage of those genes. They occur on the same chromosome, but that does not mean they are linked. Cream Legbars are single combed and have very blue eggs (at least mine do). It is now trivial to create a breed like Whitings if you want single combs and blue eggs, just start with a Legbar.

I prefer pea-type combs because they incur less frostbite concerns, but I imagine in warmer areas, they have the opposite view. My best blue egg layers are a sexlinked hybrid I create with a black Ameraucana (blue eggs and pea combs, both dominant) over California Grey pullets (single combs, white eggs, incredible egg producers). The only "problem" I have is they lay so much the blue fades to nearly white after a while, but I can live with that. Their phenotype is almost identical to a black Ameraucana pullet, but they are 100% sexable at hatch, unlike real Ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom