True Blue Whiting info please?

Pics
Mine are pretty birds, but can't say I'm real impressed. They lay very small eggs - half of them are white, half are the lightest tint of faint blue. Flighty, and not good for meat. Honestly, I feel taken advantage of. I get better production/use out of my mixed-breed EEs.

Mine are pretty birds, but can't say I'm real impressed. They lay very small eggs - half of them are white, half are the lightest tint of faint blue. Flighty, and not good for meat. Honestly, I feel taken advantage of. I get better production/use out of my mixed-breed EEs.

I agree with flighty and not good for meat, but my girls lay a nice size egg and do it 6 days a week. As for color, my whiting eggs are more blue that my Ameraucana’s.
Where did you get yours?

I agree with flighty and not good for meat, but my girls lay a nice size egg and do it 6 days a week. As for color, my whiting eggs are more blue that my Ameraucana’s.
Where did you get yours?
One factor with them is that they start laying early. From what I have seen, breeds that start laying early have smaller eggs and it can take a bit of time to become regular

Not knowing what they were using as the parent breeds, the True Blue are "basically" a blue gene rooster (Cream Legbar, etc.) over a Leghorn hen (similar to a Sapphire Chicken). That's why you get the big eggs and early laying age. It also explains the flighty personality.

*Disclaimer: This explanation is non-scientific and Dr. Whiting spent years developing the True Blue breed - I didn't :).

I bought them from McMurray - that may have been my first mistake. They also didn't start laying early - they averaged around 35 weeks - far later than the other hens in my flock of 70. Funny you should mention Sapphires. I have my own here (CCL roo over a Leghorn hen), and they blow the Whitings away.

I ordered 3 True Blues from MM hatchery this spring. The dog next door killed two of them. The the one that is left is no more flighty than my other birds. I also ordered 3 EE'ers at the same time. In a matter of 2 days when they reached 21 weeks old they all started to lay. In the past my EE'ers have always laid lovely mint green eggs. I certainly got a surprise this year. The Whiting True Blue lays light blue eggs. Two of the EE'ers also lay blue eggs and one lays olive green. Not what I was expecting.

ME TO I WAS LOOKING INTO THESE WHITINGS, & if they produce a true blue color large egg so ive been interested in getting some, if any one is getting them report back to us your experience with them , they also have 4 WEEK OLD Whiting True Blue for sale at MM.

953311B3-7F17-4CFC-80CD-4977BDDE8588.jpeg
625BEE0C-51CF-480B-8B42-31E21BCF9FF9.jpeg
I have 2 WTB, Tiffany & Baby, from McMurray Hatchery(had three but one died). They are 7 months old and lay a lovely blue egg. It’s not overly blue as it is the exact same blue as an EE I adopted. They lay almost every day and their eggs have grown in size faster than any of my other layers (they are almost hard to tell the difference between my EE & their eggs already and the EE is two years old) They are not overly friendly, but not super skittish. Their is no rhyme or reason to what the birds actually look like as far as feathering, but I am well pleased with having them in my flock :)

Back
Top Bottom