TRYING AGAIN !!!!

Stacyoung13

Crowing
Apr 9, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
I finally got a fertile egg Sunday :celebrate Then Monday I found my blue silkie, Pong, broody and sitting on 3 eggs. I left them, hoping they are fertile. Yesterday,. I went out and collected 4 eggs in other corner and put them in the incubator. Fingers crossed that they are also fertile :fl . Pong's eggs are due Christmas Eve. Mine are due the 27th.

I do have a question, when a hen is sitting on eggs, will she quit laying? Or lay in a different nest? I went to get the extra eggs from under Pong, just leaving original 3, but that's all there was, just the 3. I didn't know if my other pullet, (almost 6 months), had started laying, or if Pong went over and laid there. :confused:

THANKS

Once they go broody and start sitting on the eggs, they cease egg production. She may lay and egg or two early on, I have had that happen, but the production stops almost immediately
Thanks, that tells me that I have another young lady who has started to lay. Now to figure out who all is laying. I know my blue and black are, and I think my white one. It's between my buff one, my polish, or my black bantam. All are 6 months.

Thanks, that tells me that I have another young lady who has started to lay. Now to figure out who all is laying. I know my blue and black are, and I think my white one. It's between my buff one, my polish, or my black bantam. All are 6 months.
I have shared this several times on this forum, but I will repeat it. The best tool I have for identifying issues with my chickens, as well as my goats, is a trail cam. I purchased it on amazon for around $70. it takes video or pics, its motion activated and can be programmed to record only during certain hours of the day, or 24 hours a day. You can program it to record for 1 to 10 minute videos each time it's activate, and it has night vision. It has made life easier in answering the answered questions of what going on in the hen house. The model I have is not available any longer, but there are several others available in this price range.

I have shared this several times on this forum, but I will repeat it. The best tool I have for identifying issues with my chickens, as well as my goats, is a trail cam. I purchased it on amazon for around $70. it takes video or pics, its motion activated and can be programmed to record only during certain hours of the day, or 24 hours a day. You can program it to record for 1 to 10 minute videos each time it's activate, and it has night vision. It has made life easier in answering the answered questions of what going on in the hen house. The model I have is not available any longer, but there are several others available in this price range.
I have one of my security cameras in the run, but none in my coop. I do have a trail camera though, thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom