Trying heat pad Incubation - for detached air cells

alibabba

Songster
Mar 14, 2015
Southeast PA
My Coop
My Coop

Hello,

I received shipped eggs yesterday. 5 out of 10 seem fine, good air cells, let them rest 24 hours in about 55 degrees.

Giving those to the broody in a minute (She will be soooo happy, she's very "keen" on her 3 golf balls).
celebrate.gif

Of the others 2 were broken. 1 is intact with a detached cell. 2 had hairline cracks and detached air cells.
One egg that I did pitch had a bad crack, but I saw the yolk was intact and fertile soooo----

I followed BYC advice and waxed and taped the cracks.

I thought about buying a cheapy incubator, didn't want to wait for shipping...

I'm trying a heating pad in a box with towels on top. Eggs in a carton with the round end up. No turning. I have a dish of water in there, not sure how much difference that will make?

I put in a fresh Leghorn egg as a control. Luckily they are all white so it will be easy to see what's going on.

If any develop and the air cell heals, Ill give them to the broody.

Why do I always feel like a mad scientist? LOL

Just wanted to post in case anyone wants to offer any suggestions.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Hey Rod T. feed store inc. is $44. eh not worth it.

The eggs were not expensive, thanks to the generousity of the sender who I would return the favor to if she liked any cool stuff I've got.

I figure, people dry hatch. And I mess with my broodies about 2xs daily, checking for extras, candle some days. They hatched everything i gave them, on schedule. (Cept the Cochin, she is a wuss, That giant thing...let everyone in trample eggs, toss her nest. The tiny D'Uccles (19 oz) don't let anyone mess with their stuff!!

My thinking is. If no one ever tried something...we'd all be living in caves. No cell phones or puters :)

Anywho, I saw some people said moist towel on the heat pad, I could do that. The temp is tough, it's an adjustable heat pad..for my outdoor "mama heat pad brooding". But 6 feels too hot, 5 is not warm enough.

Is 101 too warm? That's what it feels like on setting 6. setting 5 feels like 99.

Ill get a good thermometer, but for tonight...
Im a mom of 4. I know what a fever feels like...and I can just about pin point degrees lol.

(ETA) oh cant turn right away because of the air cells, ill do a tilt side to side on the angle.

So glad for the input, thanks!

Last edited:
If u don't turn the eggs, than the CAM can't develope properly and the embryos can't get the nutrition they need

Hey all, to follow up...

The shipped eggs in the heatpad box are clear. No development that I can see. My control Leghorn...normal development :)
celebrate.gif
ep.gif

Out of the 5 under the broody 3 look perfect, 1 looks like start of blood ring and 1 clear. The other 11 under the broody (all look good!, cept the dark green that are too dense)

So...my feeling is that with the smashed and broken eggs in the shipped box, these eggs had no chance either wither way. Fun experiment to appease my curiosity.

There is a great sticky for hatching .delicate shipped eggs...I think its about geese generally, I will add the link here when I locate it again.

I will MARK, the started leghornXAmeraucana egg and put it under the broody tomorrow, to follow thru the eggsperiment. No sense in accidentally cooking or cooling it.

Bet ya all $1 its a rooster. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom