Trying to nip this in the bud.

It depends on the fence charger. The one I have now will hurt you if you touch it. Some I have had one that put out about the strength of a bee sting. Others I have had was a bit stronger. A fence charger good for around 25 miles or 1+ joules will shock you enough that you don't want to touch it again. One that is around 7000 volts will keep most predators at bay with maybe the exception of a bear.
Here are a couple of good threads on electric fencing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/electric-fence-basics.1398976/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-treatise-on-electric-fencing.1117877/

This is like the one I had been using. This one will keep most predators away, including coyotes. It averaged around 8,000 volts.
Zareba 25 Mile AC Charger.jpg
This is the one I have now. Nothing will get past this, not even a bear. This one averages around 14,000 volts.
20201129_095137.jpg

I have a switch below the fence charger and when I'm working around the coops and pens I shut it off. I haven't accidentally touched the wires from the newer charger yet but I know it will hurt.
CutOffSwitch1.png

Maybe a guardian llama or donkey. A donkey will kick the crap out of any canine including pets but not sure of their reaction to coons etc. Llama will spit on anything they can't kick or stomp and I've seen the remains of snake and jack rabbit that got in their pastures

Maybe a guardian llama or donkey. A donkey will kick the crap out of any canine including pets but not sure of their reaction to coons etc. Llama will spit on anything they can't kick or stomp and I've seen the remains of snake and jack rabbit that got in their pastures
we do have a llama...a complete dud :barnie

Do you have a picture of your fence charger?
No I don't but my dad said it was pretty high up in the amount of juice it put out.

sorry about not having much available to use, but you now see my dilemma:he

So I have decided to put out some traps, we'll see how it goes. If I catch anyting then i will post if not then I ask for more/new ideas.

Back
Top Bottom