Trying to Rebuild my coop

You had a point, what if I kept the run, and added on it (with a coop) but I’m on a budget though bc I’ve already spent about $1,100 USD on 3 non-laying hens

Yes, that is what I was trying to suggest. I would not even attempt to attach the new coop to the run other than the opening between the two; this should be very simple even to the extent of simply using hardware cloth to make the passage secure. I would put the coop immediately adjacent to existing run so that the passage way is small/easy/cheap.

As far as budget this would allow you to put all of it toward the coop and none to modification of the run (which btw looks pretty sweet!); make a design then make a detailed materials list priced from your local big box (or other source) so that you know upfront what it should cost. Once I do this then I start to find needed materials from whatever cheap source I can find (friends, kijiji, craigslist, the curb on garbage days, etc. You may be surprised at what you find).

$1,100 for 3 hens??? Sounds like you should have set a budget for them as well!!

For what it is worth my estimate for my 10' by 16' Woods KD style (knock down), spring build is $500! I shop hard and have a good local miller from whom I can get rough cut lumber at $.45/board foot for 1" by 4" wall boards and $.85/board foot for 2" by n" structural timber. It is possible!!!

I like the open front of your run, gives them lots of fresh air. A coop could be built under half of the roof, something you could lock up at night to keep them safe and a place for them to lay eggs. The more I research, the more I like the Wood's Coop, designed by Dr. Woods. It seems to give the chicks all the things they need in a design to benefit their health. It could easily be modified into your drawing.

I like the open front of your run, gives them lots of fresh air. A coop could be built under half of the roof, something you could lock up at night to keep them safe and a place for them to lay eggs. The more I research, the more I like the Wood's Coop, designed by Dr. Woods. It seems to give the chicks all the things they need in a design to benefit their health. It could easily be modified into your drawing.

The design of the Woods coops are "engineered" to provide excellent ventilation that will allow birds to thrive even in very cold or hot climates. The KD style can be scaled down but within limits; the smallest I have seen in my research is 6' by 10' footprint, height is over 8' at it's high point. The other Woods coop styles are meant for much larger coops.

This will NOT fit inside the run that @ColetasticChickens has. Moreover, doing so would waste the space that the Woods coop would occupy inside the run (ie a building within a building). I do not recommend this approach, much better to build a new Woods OUTSIDE the run and attach the two via a passage way.

I very much support @Ms Chicory opinion of the Woods style coop as do many others on this site.

Apologies I do not mean to offend.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom