TSC cheapest or better off with a "feed store"

porkchop48

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Malta, OH
I have not hit the semi local feed store yet but I was wondering what other people experiences are. Is TSC normally the cheapest or do you have better luck with feed stores?

My new flock is eating me out of house and home but part of that is due to it being 2X the size I planned. The chicken plucker is in the works to get it down to a more manageable level but it will be a few weeks before any butchering is done. I want to get them all up to par and feathers regrown before I do any butchering as well. ( planned on 20-25, currently have 60-65ish)

I buy from both stores. When I get coupons from Purina I use them at TSC. I have both stores close by so it depends what store I'll be driving by when going places. At my local TSC and feed store the prices are about the same.

MY local feed store is at least 50 cents cheaper on Purina, which is all TSC sells that you can compare. Other feed is as good or better than the price on Dumor, which is Purina also. They also take Purina coupons.

TSC is OK when one has either a TSC coupon or a Purina coupon. Otherwise, not so much.
Generic "feed stores" can be even higher.

However, a true feed operation, that grinds/sacks their own feed? One can sometimes save as much as $4 a hundred. It takes some shopping. One has to also gauge the performance of the chickens on whatever feed is provided. Do the chickens eat it well, do they eat more or less of it, do they seem as healthy on it, and finally, if layers, is the egg count and size effected?

Fred's Hens :

However, a true feed operation, that grinds/sacks their own feed? One can sometimes save as much as $4 a hundred. It takes some shopping. One has to also gauge the performance of the chickens on whatever feed is provided. Do the chickens eat it well, do they eat more or less of it, do they seem as healthy on it, and finally, if layers, is the egg count and size effected?

I absolutely agree with this. I noticed that the grower feed that I buy for my meaties (from my local feed mill) just doesn't pack the same punch as the grower feed at TSC. They didn't seem to put on very much weight and also never finish the feed. When I switched to TSC feed, I noticed a difference immediately in how they ate, as well as how they've started to look like meat chickens.

Although my local feed mill is cheaper, it's not by much and not worth the health of the birds.​

Quote:
This is a perfect illustration of why "Feed is not Feed". Too often we fall into the cheap is better menatlity when that is not the case. If you are comparing feed with identical nutrient profiles and ingredients then the price comparison is valid. However, comparing the price of a Corn-Soybean Meal-Premix ration with a Corn-Soybean Meal-Fish-Oats-Organic Acid-Premix ration is not appropriate.

The feeds sold by my company for sale through retailers contain a blend of Essential Oils and Botanicals to help with gut health along with a source of Organic Selenium and Phytase to improve digestiblity of Phosphorus. These ingredients make this feed more expensive when compared to other rations, but the added ingredients should improve health and productivity of the birds.

The buyer needs to be aware of what they are comparing.

Jim

I also buy from both stores, and I'll tell you why. I buy cracked corn, oyster shell, and occasionally a bail of straw from the farm store, because they have the best deal.

Now, I did try the layer feed once, but I didn't like it. It was more of a powder than the crumbles, and I don't think my ladies liked it at all. I just didn't like the looks of the powdery texture. I thought to myself, gee, that would be awful to eat....Like getting a mouthful of dry flour.

So, corn, oyster shell from the feed mill, and I buy Dumor brand food from TSC.

Quote:
I buy feed from a local Agi-Coop. They have better prices than TSC, and more choices in feed. The only time I buy feed at TSC is if I need it on a Sunday, when the feed store is closed.

My Buff orps turned 18 weeks yesterday and I bought layer feed for the first time. I had been buying my grower/starter at TSC but found out about a local feed store that carries FRM ( Flint river mills ) feed that is a product of my home state ( Georgia). Wanted to give the locals a chance to earn my business and help keep the local economy going. So I guess sometimes we do things that work best for the " home team "

Back
Top Bottom